VOGONS

First post, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm looking for recommendations of good books about the architecture/internals of the old OSs - Especially DOS, Windows 1.0-3.11/9x, Windows NT 3.x. Books like:
* "Extending DOS"
* "Inside Windows NT" by H. Custer
* "Undocumented Windows" by M. Pietrek
* "Advanced Windows" by J. Richter.
Also a book about MS-NET would be useful.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 3 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might be better off asking at betaarchive or MSFN.

Last paper DOS book I read indepth was the MS-DOS 4 manual. 😁

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 10, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Go find PC Intern, and then tell me if you need more books 😉

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 10, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zup wrote:

I asked for more because I buy them in batches, so I can get some discount. International shipping is quite expensive ($4/book) so every $ counts. There is one at the moment at Better World Books, but there is no information whether it contains the CD (They usually write it if they have it). Can anyone recommend any other "old book store" (I was happy with the quality of BWB, but I can test others too)?

Reply 6 of 10, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zup wrote:

There's at least 5 revisions of it. I have PC Intern 1, 2 and 4. Revision 4 was badly translated from German (into Dutch) and I ended up correcting lots of mistakes (mostly caused by the source code and some data tables also being "translated").

Still, the pink shirt book is also a good read. (Or, if you want to call it by it's proper title: Peter Norton's Guide to Programming the IBM PC )

And I can also recommend "The Old New Thing". It's a recent book, by Raymond Chen, but it covers a lot of the development of early 32-bit Windows (9x/2k) and late 16-bit Windows stuff. More importantly: it's fun reading.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 7 of 10, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kippesoep wrote:
Zup wrote:

There's at least 5 revisions of it. I have PC Intern 1, 2 and 4. Revision 4 was badly translated from German (into Dutch) and I ended up correcting lots of mistakes (mostly caused by the source code and some data tables also being "translated").

I assume I have to look for the last one? Was the the original written in German (mein Computer Deutsch is noch nicht so ganz schlecht 😉).

Kippesoep wrote:

Still, the pink shirt book is also a good read. (Or, if you want to call it by it's proper title: Peter Norton's Guide to Programming the IBM PC )

I have the newer edition ("The New Peter Norton Programmer's Guide") on my MS Programmers Library CD.

Kippesoep wrote:

And I can also recommend "The Old New Thing". It's a recent book, by Raymond Chen, but it covers a lot of the development of early 32-bit Windows (9x/2k) and late 16-bit Windows stuff. More importantly: it's fun reading.

Oh, I love Raymond's blog, reading it for at least few years. But the books is just a printed version of his posts, isn't it?

Reply 10 of 10, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GL1zdA wrote:

I assume I have to look for the last one? Was the the original written in German (mein Computer Deutsch is noch nicht so ganz schlecht 😉).

Well, they're quite different. I wasn't too interested in 5, which is why I didn't buy it. 4 is more DOS + hardware oriented whereas 5 has loads more Windows stuff.

GL1zdA wrote:

Oh, I love Raymond's blog, reading it for at least few years. But the books is just a printed version of his posts, isn't it?

The same style, but it's not just a collection of the blog posts. Some of them you will have seen in blog posts, yes, but some material is new. If you like his blog, you'll also like the book. I've read it at least 5 times so far, because I'm a sucker for those things 😁

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.