VOGONS

any DOS sound drivers/emulators for modern hardware?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an Atom-powered netbook, and is finding DOSBOX too slow for some games. These netbooks can boot into FreeDOS OK, but, of course, the sound hardware is way too modern. I know that some semi-modern sound cards (AC97 based) will sometimes work with other AC97 sound blaster emulator drivers intended for other AC97 cards.

My question is, does anyone know of any drivers, official or unofficial, intended for Atom or not, that might work?

Reply 1 of 35, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You already tried increasing the CPU cycles in DOSBox, right..?

Anyway, the last AC97 DOS driver I read about was intended for VIA chipsets. I think these things might all be chipset-dependent.
http://list.driverguide.com/list/DOS/company1112/

Reply 2 of 35, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I'll give the drivers a try.

Well, I can't really increase the cycles anymore, since these games are Protected Mode, so DOSBOX goes from cycle count to 100%. I tried the 105% setting; not quite enough. I also changed the output from surface to OpenGL, and that helped just a little.

Reply 4 of 35, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Core is left at auto, but for protected mode games with a Windows host, that should be 'dynamic', right?

I'm starting to realize Win 7 starter is a 'crap' OS, and am putting Linux on this weekend. I'll try out dosemu.

Reply 5 of 35, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

but for protected mode games with a Windows host, that should be 'dynamic', right?

This is done automatically for x86 compatible systems, but your processor
may simply be not capable to play a certain set of games using an emulation
layer like dosbox.

Reply 8 of 35, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That is true. However, on this particular machine (atom-based netbook) 32-bit is a better fit. My desktop is a much better fit for 64-bit OS, and is fast enough to run these games fine in DOSBOX.

There are two other solutions that worked as well:

-DOSEMU: I shrunk the windows partition down to put on linux. While I was at it, I installed DOSEMU. It's pretty good. And there is an x86_64 port for it. The best solution if you run Linux most of the time.

-VMWARE: I installed dos 6.22 in vmware player, and got good performance. VMWare sound 'sucks', but through tweaking it is ok. There's also a little bit of screen 'tearing'' in between frames; maybe I can tweek that as well.

Reply 10 of 35, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Dos MP3 player MPXPlay works on my eee-PC netbook. That program has the code to access the hardware of many soundcards directly. But it is not a SBPro emulator....
Other than that I could not get any sound out of the netbook in pure dos.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 11 of 35, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"You're not saying you got better performance on this Atom-powered netbook with VMware than with DOSBox?"

Thats exactly what I'm saying. In DOSBOX, Tomb Raider was barely playable at 320x240. VMWare plays it as 640x80 just fine. Same with Descent.

Descent plays nicely in DOSBOX at 320x240, but when you get a lot of enemies in one room it slows down a bunch.

With NTVDM/ VDMSound/XP Graphics Drivers all these games run at 60 fps at 640x480.

Reply 14 of 35, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What video hardware does your netbook have?

I have an Acer Revo R3610 box (using it as an HTPC) with a dual-core Atom CPU and nVidia ION GPU and it ran Duke Nukem 3D in DOSBox 0.74 at 320x200 with no noticeable choppiness when I tried it a couple weeks ago.

Reply 15 of 35, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Celeron 900 netbook, which I have since replaced with an Atom 1.66Ghz netbook, ran DOSBox fine for all needs, as did it's successor. I imagine you've got some OS bloat or configuration problems.

As for sound drivers, there is one guy who has written AC'97 and Intel HDA drivers for DOS, but they don't allow general SB16 emulation or anything. I contacted him about releasing them as OSS, and he would if I could provide the code to do the other half of the work prior to his releasing his work - I unfortunately am not very capable at low-level coding. Unless somebody can code an SB emulation module ready to plug an API into the input of, we're SOL there. VDMSound perhaps could be modified for that, by someone with more experience than I.

Reply 16 of 35, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Atom has plenty of Grunt for DOSBox. My Acer Aspire One works great 🤣

Descent is quite demanding though. Needs a DX2 or DX4 to run well.

In cycles we are looking at 24000 for a DX2 66 and 36000 for a DX4

Reply 17 of 35, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was going to start my own thread, but this one is close.

If we bought an Atom based motherboard with a PCI slot, are there any PCI sound cards that would work for DOS? I like the Aureal SQ2500 based cards, but I run it in a BX chipset board now. I don't know if the comparative Atom's chipset would support DDMA or any other mechanism needed by PCI sound cards.

Reply 18 of 35, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Atom would still be way to fast.

I had Duke Nukem 3D running in SVGA 😁

I wouldn't bet on the PCI soundcard working to be honnest. Until you try we won't know for sure...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel