VOGONS

First post, by borgrail

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I have been trying to get the 3dfx version to work, without success yet. Whilst it may be possible to get it to run with dgVoodoo ( Installed a copy of dgVoodoo into the Pandemonium folder, it won't install the 3dfx version but I think it should still be possible to circumvent that by running the Pandy3.exe.
However it insists that the Pandemonium cd must be in the CD drive, it is, but seemingly it doesn't see it.

Anybody got any clues?

I have other 3dfx games that I will be trying out in due course. Some which are known to work and some that may not.

Reply 1 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you are trying to run a DOS games in NTVDM and it needs to see the CDROM drive then alot of older MS-DOS games need the CDROM drive to be on D: or E:.

So try chaing your cdrom drive letter.

Other than that the only other thing I can suggest is to use DOSBox or a real computer because NTVDM is not the ideal environment for DOS games.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 19, by borgrail

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Success! Uninstalled program and re-installed it, still objected that I didn't have a 3dfx card, so proceeded to install non-3dfx version but it wasn't a problem as you will see. Then I copied the dgVoodoo (1.50) files into the program folder deleted pandy.exe and pandy.bat and copied over pandy3exe and pandy3.bat. It worked!
If I can get that to work as a 3dfx version I think I now have access to all the games that I couldn't play when I upgraded from a proper Voodoo card all those years ago.

Reply 5 of 19, by borgrail

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again - now is there any way to use a USB gamepad with this game? As I can't find it.
I know the game pad is OK but the game doesn't see it. Do I really have to get a PCI gameport card? I know I can use the keyboard but it's a bit of a pain.

Reply 9 of 19, by borgrail

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
borgrail wrote:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

Whilst looking for something else entirely, I came across my pukka CD for Pandemonium, so I thought great, I can have the in-game music now as well.

Wrong!

Anybody any clues please?

Well after a long time I have tried again after having new harddrive etc for other reasons and now the music works too!

Reply 13 of 19, by borgrail

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Slightly confused - I have several computers. On main XP with Geforce 6200 I have both NGlide and DGVoodoo (1.50) - on starting game I get the the 3DFX spinning logo - works fine. I also have an old laptop running Windows XP works with DGVoodoo (1.40) but not with NGlide, I don't get the spinning 3DFX logo. However I'm sure it is the 3DFX version. I got my Disc when I bought a Hercules Stingray 128. I also have a Windows 7 computer but I haven't really bothered trying to get many games to run on that as yet. Interestingly, I also built myself a Windows 98SE machine with Voodoo 3000 16mb agp card, Pentium 3 (approx900mhz) with 512mb. Of course that runs the game just fine.

So DGVoodoo probably doesn't give the spinning logo but NGlide does but needs the right Graphics Card to work (I think card compatability is covered in NGlides FAQs) i.e Geforce6200 in my case.

Reply 14 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's okay, many of lightmaster's posts are confusing. 😉

dgVoodoo 1.x, I forget if it ever supported the spinning logo.

The spinning logo is generated by the game+wrapper loading an original 3dfx file. With original 3dfx cards it came from a particular driver included with the drivers, IIRC it was named 3DfxSpl.dll / 3DfxSpl2.dll / 3DfxSpl3.dll. This file needs to be present (depending on which revision of Glide the game uses, 3DfxSpl.dll is a splash plugin for glide.dll., 3DfxSpl2.dll is a splash plugin for glide2x.dll, 3DfxSpl3.dll is a splash plugin for glide3x.dll). There's also a way to disable it from displaying too, usually by removing the file from the game/wrapper's directory.

If memory serves Pandemonium is a glide.dll game so you need 3DfxSpl.dll in the folder with your wrapper and/or the game. If you check your main XP system you will probably find it. nGlide bundles it with the wrapper ever since 0.93 (current version: 1.05) and IIRC its config tool manages whether the logo is enabled or disabled, dgVoodoo does not do this.

More info on nGlide's handling of the splash screen: http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30

PS. There's dgVoodoo 2.x now, but it seems as though even your main system is too old to run it.

Requirements --------------- […]
Show full quote

Requirements
---------------

- Operating system: Windows Vista/7/8/10 with DirectX11 installed.
- Hardware: GPU supporting DirectX feature level 10.1.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 15 of 19, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

I just checked: the logo does not appear, there's no option for it, and "3dfxspl" text does not appear in dgVoodoo files.
It seems there's no logo support at all.

It doesn't work for me on HD5770, which is a DX11 card.

dgVoodoo 2 sucks. Doesn't work on any of my machines.

Reply 16 of 19, by borgrail

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I knew about DGVoodoo 2 not being suitable for XP but as I said I also have a Windows 7 computer, which should be up to it, just not had the time as yet.
By the way if anybody is interested I have managed to get 3d acceleration for Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 to work on my fairly basic XP laptop by use of the DDraw.dll mod, but to get all the enhancements will take some work on the Windows 7 system. This only (for me) leaves Shadows of the Empire needing the Voodoo 3 computer.

Reply 17 of 19, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:
That's okay, many of lightmaster's posts are confusing. ;) […]
Show full quote

That's okay, many of lightmaster's posts are confusing. 😉

The spinning logo is generated by the game+wrapper loading an original 3dfx file. With original 3dfx cards it came from a particular driver included with the drivers, IIRC it was named 3DfxSpl.dll / 3DfxSpl2.dll / 3DfxSpl3.dll. This file needs to be present (depending on which revision of Glide the game uses, 3DfxSpl.dll is a splash plugin for glide.dll., 3DfxSpl2.dll is a splash plugin for glide2x.dll, 3DfxSpl3.dll is a splash plugin for glide3x.dll). There's also a way to disable it from displaying too, usually by removing the file from the game/wrapper's directory.

If memory serves Pandemonium is a glide.dll game so you need 3DfxSpl.dll in the folder with your wrapper and/or the game. If you check your main XP system you will probably find it. nGlide bundles it with the wrapper ever since 0.93 (current version: 1.05) and IIRC its config tool manages whether the logo is enabled or disabled, dgVoodoo does not do this.

More info on nGlide's handling of the splash screen: http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30

PS. There's dgVoodoo 2.x now, but it seems as though even your main system is too old to run it.

Requirements --------------- […]
Show full quote

Requirements
---------------

No, unfortunately dgVoodoo 1.x doesn't support spinnging logo and 3Dfx watermark. 😐

Reply 18 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dege wrote:

No, unfortunately dgVoodoo 1.x doesn't support spinnging logo and 3Dfx watermark. 😐

Thankfully dgVoodoo 2.x does (if you have the 3dfx splash DLLs) 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 19 of 19, by borgrail

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I have checked - main computer has the splash DLLs, so I get the spinning logo, haven't had time to check the laptop, so can't say yet which is handling the running of the 3Dfx part. I'll try and remember to have a look, perhaps later today.