VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tseng ET6100 mated to pair of 12mb STB Black Magic Voodoo2's. I've only heard good things about Tseng chipset 2d cards so thought I should grab this one while I can. It's been for sale for a long time. I'll bet the seller will be shocked he finally managed to move it. 😁

Reply 2 of 7, by Menkau_ra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have ET4000, ET6000 2MB and ET6100 4MB(or 5). It is really fast PCI card for old PCs like Pentium1. But there would be no need to have SLI V2, because Pentium1 is too weak for it. If you have Pentium2 and up I would use something like Geforce3 AGP and SLI Voodoo2.

Reply 5 of 7, by stano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Any GF will be better then ET6100. ET6100 is the best video card only for PCI slot

probably need to qualify that as a voodoo 5 pci might be considered better...

Reply 6 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOS games tend to get CPU limited once you get into the NV TNT / ET6100 / Voodoo Banshee realm of DOS 2D speed. For example I found that I needed a Coppermine P3-600 to get SVGA Cybermage completely fluid. A Katmai P3-450 would chop out when I got close to walls.

So I wouldn't get too caught up on which video card for your DOS games. The most important thing is compatibility. Usually a simple S3 Virge or Trio 64 is the best choice because, while they aren't unreal-stupid-fast, they are usually the cards that always work and they aren't slow enough to be a problem most of the time.

Reply 7 of 7, by Anzi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As already mentioned before, in my understanding the best match for the ET6100 (1995?) is a Voodoo 1 card (1996) or maximum one Voodoo 2, especially with just a P1. You can use the Voodoo2 SLI but can't make any use of it and it's not contemporary.

Build up a second retro pc with a end 90's P3, K6/3 or Athlon and use the V2-SLI with games like Unreal, Crimson Skies, in general all Glide games, with 1024x768 resolution. And then enjoy!!! 😁