VOGONS

First post, by madcrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently been trying to set up Windows 95 in QEMU 0.13.1. So far, it's been an epic failure. The darn thing always freezes about 4% into the hardware detection. I've tried disabling ACPI and HPET emulation. I've even tried disabling network card emulation. None of it works. It always freezes. Is there anybody who's succeeded in getting Win95 installed on a recent version of QEMU or is it just totally borked?

Reply 1 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣 QEMU has been like that for quite some time. If it isn't one problem it's another and if something gets fixed for 9x it'll be broken again by the next version.

Use a different emulator.

VPC or Vmware Player.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 6, by madcrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

🤣 QEMU has been like that for quite some time. If it isn't one problem it's another and if something gets fixed for 9x it'll be broken again by the next version.

Use a different emulator.

VPC or Vmware Player.

I would, but VPC doesn't run on Linux and VMware Player needs some extra CPU instructions that my laptop lacks.

Reply 4 of 6, by madcrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
valnar wrote:

Virtualbox? But yah, Win95 support sucks on it.

The last QEMU that worked well for Win95 (for me) is 0.11.1

I'm too lazy to go outside the Fedora repositories to build an old version of QEMU, so I guess that means no retro Windows on my laptop. I guess I'll just have to stick with doing my retro stuff on my desktop Windows gaming/photo editing box, which DOES have VPC installed.

Reply 5 of 6, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
madcrow wrote:

I'm too lazy to go outside the XXXX repositories to build an old version of YYYY.....

Me too...and you just listed my main pet peeve about Linux.
Until that is "fixed", I don't see Linux ever making it to the desktop mainstream. 😒

/off topic

Reply 6 of 6, by madcrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
valnar wrote:
Me too...and you just listed my main pet peeve about Linux. Until that is "fixed", I don't see Linux ever making it to the desk […]
Show full quote
madcrow wrote:

I'm too lazy to go outside the XXXX repositories to build an old version of YYYY.....

Me too...and you just listed my main pet peeve about Linux.
Until that is "fixed", I don't see Linux ever making it to the desktop mainstream. 😒

/off topic

Well, in general I like Linux better. It's just that if I wanted to have to search online and manually install programs rather than pick them from a list and have to computer do the rest, I'd use Windows as my main system 😉