VOGONS

Chronologistic PC emulation

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone else ever had a urge for a VM 'stuck' in a specific year only? As in no software, OS or drivers after 1995 (or whatever specific year), etc... literally living in the simulated computer past.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1 of 13, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes.

Personally I'm only interested in era-locked hardware emulation - DOSBox can speed up and slow down to accommodate various software, which is cool for ease of use, but it doesn't emulate a particular CPU, etc.. It would be nice if I could tell it to have an Am5x86-133, and it would lag in Quake, for example. Experience the benefits and downfalls of each CPU, and so on. Perhaps a wider selection of video cards and particular sound cards, though I realize that's far less likely to happen - especially the sound cards - as it requires immense amounts of coding to emulate complex boards like this instead of just getting the software to work accurately, as has already been done.

Reply 2 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bochs and PCem are sort of like that, though personally I never got Bochs to work, and by default, it wants to be a Pentium 4. Ew!

PCem can do from IBM PC to AMI-based 486 40... and emulates the AMI bios for the latter. Now if only it supported the high-end 486 stuff and the funny WinBIOS 😁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am strongly of the opinion that since PC game developers never wrote their software for exactly one hardware configuration that everyone had, you should just use whatever hardware or software solution you happen to have available that gets the job done, and quit worrying about the details. Life is short and there are so many games to play.

Reply 6 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

I am strongly of the opinion that since PC game developers never wrote their software for exactly one hardware configuration that everyone had, you should just use whatever hardware or software solution you happen to have available that gets the job done, and quit worrying about the details. Life is short and there are so many games to play.

^Agrees 😉

(not talking about emulators here->)I've been there when it comes to tweaking systems, but nowdays I'm satisfied when a rig runs it's intended programs good enough (meaning very little or no crashes or other annoying problems). What I do like however is to find a use for some typical old hardware, but in the end it's all about the fun for me. Personally I don't like being kept in a box (unless it's my own choice hehe 😜 )

Reply 8 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBOX would have to simulate so many things. You'd have instruction latencies, quirks, accurate memory/cache bandwidth, buses, etc. Eeek. Massive amount of effort for something of dubious value.

I'd rather have the effort put into that Voodoo emulation, personally. 😁

Reply 9 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it'd be better for dosbox's video output and opl3 emulation core shoved into qemu or pcem for a more equivelant effect

also don't carry that 'life is short' crap into the marvin forum 😀 I find simulating era-specific machines useful for debugging and testing software. (i.e. a 1995 case wouldn't have DirectX, Xing or OpenGL installed)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 13, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can either have "authentic behaviour" (=real hardware) or "authentic usability" (=emulation), not both. That seems to be one of the fundamental rules of emulation, and I don't see it changing anytime soon. A good example is the state of emulation of the famous MOS 6581 C-64 SID chip. The functionality of the chip itself is well known, and SID emulation has been around for many years in various implementations. Yet it's still not possible to reproduce music and sound 1:1 as it would have sounded on hardware. And that's a single, rather primitive chip.

I'm with Jorpho on this one. Just enjoy that little wonder that is emulation. Everything else is just masturbation IMO. What kind of meaning does information like "Quake runs at x FPS on CPU y, but at v FPS on CPU w!" have after all? None at all. Those numbers and tests were relevant when the hardware was around, but they're completely meaningless today.

FYI: I used to own or work with various 8-bit (C-64, Amstrad CPC, Apple IIe) and 16-bit (various Amigas, Atari ST) machines before buying my first PC back in the DOS/Win3.1 days. I always was interested in hardware and how it worked, but today knowing all those details seems like a total waste of time and brainpower to me. Heck, I don't even follow current PC hardware because it keeps changing very quickly anyway, and I'll just buy whatever is hot when I need it. There's more important and interesting things in life.