VOGONS

No CRT Emulation? Why!?

Topic actions

Reply 161 of 167, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2023-05-06, 21:54:

I dont' think reshade scales up from a buffer so CRTs on that are probably going to be moirey...

Crosire is working on that if i remember, but that means a visit to reshade forums, also there is the addon version.

Reply 162 of 167, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hm, how about RetroArch's own ffmpeg core then? Viable?
My thoughts are along the lines of taking arbitrary video sources of the 'correct' resolution (say, real hardware RGB captures), applying a shader on playback, then capturing that using OBS or somesuch.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 163 of 167, by Mr_Blastman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VileR wrote on 2023-05-08, 18:18:

Hm, how about RetroArch's own ffmpeg core then? Viable?
My thoughts are along the lines of taking arbitrary video sources of the 'correct' resolution (say, real hardware RGB captures), applying a shader on playback, then capturing that using OBS or somesuch.

Capturing Retroarch through OBS sucks quite a bit. Despite being 1:1 capture, OBS produces a ton of artifacting and image distortion during the capture. I've even seen VGA emulation converted by OBS into vertical scanlines!

Here's an example of what I mean, where I used a special core inside Retroarch that allows me to capture any window within Windows called "WindowCast"(which is useful to apply MegaBezel shaders and effects to a pixel art Steam game ) and apply my VGA monitor shaders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kPeaAnuL8I

Those vertical scanlines are not present on my monitor, at all, when I am playing. Also, the shadow mask is visible(80s VGA monitor being emulated) on my screen but not on the capture.

I haven't tried the built in capture in a while, but probably should. That kind of defeats the purpose, however, for being able to stream gaming on Retroarch.

Reply 164 of 167, by crusher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't have one on my own but there are people swearing on such devices called upscalers.
The main purpose is to upscale low resolutions of old video consoles/pc for high resolution TVs (Full HD up to 4K).
As a side effect many also offer CRT filters/shaders and such things.
What I read it seems to pretty work well.

Recent devices are: Retrotink 4K, OSSC Pro, Morph 4K for example.
An older device but very popular is called "Framemeister".

Reply 165 of 167, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It’d be interesting conceptually to do an actual simulation of the beam, glass and shadow mask. Not for any actual practical use or purpose, but just as a fun simulation to make, especially if you tried to go really far on the physics accuracy.

Reply 166 of 167, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
midicollector wrote on 2024-04-13, 05:59:

It’d be interesting conceptually to do an actual simulation of the beam, glass and shadow mask. Not for any actual practical use or purpose, but just as a fun simulation to make, especially if you tried to go really far on the physics accuracy.

Raytracing!! 😃

For such things, vector calculations are needed.
An GPU, FPU or SIMD (MMX/SSE/AVX) could greatly improve performance here.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 167 of 167, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2024-04-13, 07:46:
Raytracing!! 😃 […]
Show full quote
midicollector wrote on 2024-04-13, 05:59:

Raytracing!! 😃

For such things, vector calculations are needed.
An GPU, FPU or SIMD (MMX/SSE/AVX) could greatly improve performance here.

Even with such I do not think anything below a 4K monitor would have the pixel density required to make the effect work..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.