VOGONS

First post, by Prunk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have recently cobbled together a PC from some components lying around the house/office for playing DOS/Win95 games, as Win2k on my main PC was giving me heartburn ...

I am glad to say that I have got the dreaded X-Com: Apocalypse working perfectly 😁

I am now tackling another of the old "favourites" ... Crusader: No Regret. By rebooting from Win95 into DOS mode I can get it to install and play but there is no sound - it won't even detect the sound card and locks up if I try to set the IRQ/DMA etc manually.

The sound card is an Ensoniq AudioPCI 64V. I have scoured the usual places for drivers and found a set that works perfectly for Win95 and under a DOS prompt. However, the card still won't work after rebooting into DOS, even when I edit the autoexec and config files to point at the various drivers.

My question is: Does anyone know of a way to get this sound card to operate in "true" DOS mode under Win95?

I suspect that the answer is "no" and I should just try and get my hands on a basic Sound Blaster card with simple DOS drivers. Does anyone know where I could get such a card?

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum ...

Reply 2 of 19, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have Ensoniq card and I think it runs only in window's dos and not as perfectly as you say cause it requires emm386.exe to be installed, but a game may not tolerate emm386.exe in memory.
You may have NOEMS parameter but drivers require VCPI so ems386.exe must be installed..

My Ensoniq is almost the same as Sound Blaster 128.

You may look for any other ISA based sound card on [url]http://www.ebay.com,[/url] your local auctions, newspaper with advertisements, etc.

Reply 4 of 19, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just got the same problem here.. I'm trying to find dos drivers for ensoniq to run dos 6.22 on vmware. If anyone has any idea of how to make it work, i'll be thrilled...

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 6 of 19, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What about Virtual PC? Does it emulates anything in terms of sound on DOS? If yes, is Virtual PC good to run old dos games?

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 8 of 19, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh boy, you just said the words I wanted to hear... A dos virtual machine with sound, i hope all my old games run ok on it.. i'll give it a shot...

Reply 12 of 19, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A Ensoniq AudioPCI 64V is a Sound Blaster 64V (i think that was the commercial name), and there are drivers for DOS somewhere... uh... not exactly drivers, i think it's an emulation layer between DOS and the soundcard.

The drivers emulate a Sound Blaster Pro or 16, and they are willing to hang your computer if you try protected mode games (some work, some hangs).

Reply 13 of 19, by DeGerbil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Your driver is here:

http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/drivers/45/45804.htm

If not try searching this list:

http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/companies/372.htm

Or here:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/legacysupport/digital/epid83.html

The first link are the drivers I use and work perfectly with all DOS games I have. No problems. You will also need the default.ecw file if not included. It should be put in the windows\system directory and in the autoexec.bat should be a line called SET SOUND=C:\DIRWHEREDRIVERSARE. The default.ecw can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/faustino909/bootdisk.html
(After following this link, click the link above in that page) Somehow a direct link from here to the zip does not work.

Hope this helps you out!

Marco

Last edited by DeGerbil on 2004-01-19, 16:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 19, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can you rename one of the other .ecw files in its place, i.e. one of the bigger soundsets? I have the 2, 4 and 8 MB ones here.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 16 of 19, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, cheers.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 17 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A Sound Blaster PCI 64 is an AUDIOPCI. Ensoniq's AUDIOPCI will definitely run in DOS. Creative bought out Ensoniq partly for their DOS driver which emulates a SBPro almost perfectly.

Creative couldn't get it working. Heck there was a special connector on some boards for the freak AWE64 PCI that lived a short life. DOS audio and PCI was a serious challenge for a few years there. SBLive, and I bet the Audigys, use a slightly enhanced version of the AudioPCI's DOS driver. Actually the driver originally emulated a Ensoniq Soundscape as well. I loved my Soundscape!

It also has software MIDI wavetable with various sized wavesets (2,4,8MB) .ecw files. You could tell Creative was using Ensoniq tech because the wavesets were still .ecw's (Ensoniq Concert Wavetable.) Ensoniq sadly never released the spec for that file format so nobody ever was able to tweak better wavesets.

You just need to get the drivers installed.

I don't remember the specifics anymore. I know you need EMM386 running.

Check this out:
http://easymamecab.mameworld.net/html/snddosdr.htm

Reply 18 of 19, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey, I know the Ensoniq Soundcard Wavetable frontwards and backwards.
I love the card to death because I could still play many DOS games with it.
Although the problem with the Ensoniq Wavetable is that it MUST have EMS in pure DOS mode.
Otherwise you will not have any sound emulation.
So any program that requires you to disable EMS will NEVER work with the Ensoniq Soundcard. 😐
I hated that because I couldn't play my Ultima 7 game on my P2.
But now that I have a new computer (2 yrs old) and Windows XP (bleh) and DOSBox CVS (Horray!) I can play Ultima 7 with amazing performance that I never achieved before. 😀.

I would help you out but I don't have the drivers that I used to use on my Windows 95 B system since they're at my parents home.The installation packs (the last version) which actually transformed it into a Creative Labs AUDIO PCI sound configuration system in Windows but it worked anyways and there is an 8 mb sound bank file? I forget the right name for it and if it really improved anything but you might want to get it anyways.

Yes, you have to set up your autoexec.bat and config.sys to load up the Ensoniq Sound AUDIOPCI.COM? file into memory for it to be recognized in pure dos.

Oy, working with that computer for 7 years and no upgrades. (What an achievement) It still runs quite well. Oh we did have to replace the monitor after a freak storm apparently fried a resistor and caused a latter failure. Which apparently had also caused the HD after the Monitor failed to go and melt something internally (some clear plastic had melted and frozen onto the harddrive's circuit board.

But that Soundcard has survived and still kicking. I wish you luck.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 19 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ensoniq's Soundscape cards didn't need EMM386. The AUDIOPCI, a very cheap chip which Ensoniq created to try to cut costs, started that. In fact, Soundcapes didn't even need a TSR of any sort. They just ran an init prog that uploaded firmware to the card's RAM for the onboard processor to run. 😀

If you've ever seen the size of a Soundscape you'd know why it was expensive to build.
A Soundscape ELITE with the ESP daughtercard
A Soundscape ELITE w/o the ESP (see the Motorola 68000 CPU?)
The ESP (Ensoniq Signal Processor)- fun but limited due to limited app support (does handle MIDI Sysex commands so you can tweak it in dos tho! makes midi sound better.
Original Soundscape
Magazine ad for the SS
A Soundscape VIVO90 - capable card but only 1M ROM
An AUDIOPCI
ELITE means the card has the tweaked 2M ROM set and the DSP daughtercard for MIDI/Digital audio effects,

Soundscapes rock. Too bad they are very hard to find. You don't want a Soundscape VIVO (need EMM386). You'd want either the S2000 (Gateway OEM'ed some) or the ELITE and I've NEVER seen an ELITE on eBay............good thing I have one !