VOGONS

First post, by Destroy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried to do some web searches but I can't find any solid answers.

Wanting to run some older Windows games, is it possible to successfully run 2 video cards in one system? Say one modern PCI-E and one older or basic PCI.

Use the basic PCI card for better compatibility.

Then part 2 is can one be ATI based and the other nVidia?

Reply 2 of 11, by Destroy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

Put a system together and find out. If it works you should be able to switch them through Display Properties > Settings.

I'd be happy to but I don't have any PCI cards handy. Would have to buy one and don't feel like wasting $50 to find out it may not work.

Reply 3 of 11, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've done this before, using an AGP ATi or nVidia card and then a PCI Voodoo 5 card.

Will it work with an ATi and nVidia combination ?!?

It should but you will not know for certain until you try it out on your particular hardware configuration 😉

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 4 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm not sure whether that will work as you intend, that you can switch cards for all games. Some might give you the option to choose the card, some might not.
For 3dfx cards it made sense as the 3dfx card was taking over glide and the other direct3d stuff.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 11, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It worked in 98 and 2000 - I used to run a TNT2 AGP and a Matrox Millenium PCI to get a dual monitor setup.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 7 of 11, by Destroy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So sounds like not too many people tried with more recent Windows versions.

Suppose ideally, a dual boot setup might work best. Win98(or winXP since win98 may not like such modern hardware underneath) with older PCI card and Vista/Win7 for modern PCI-E card setup. Also, would be a bit more of a pain but booting to Bios and controlling which card is available to use in there may be helpful.

Asking all my friends if they have an old video card laying around.

Ebay has lots of nVidia Geforce MX400 PCI 128mb cards for $20 or so, that a solid choice?

Reply 8 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

How can we say? You gave no solid reason for doing this in the first place...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Destroy wrote:

Ebay has lots of nVidia Geforce MX400 PCI 128mb cards for $20 or so, that a solid choice?

That depends entirely on what exactly you want to do. If your expectations are very modest, then it might just be suitable.

Reply 10 of 11, by Destroy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
Destroy wrote:

That depends entirely on what exactly you want to do. If your expectations are very modest, then it might just be suitable.

My main goal is the ability to run my older 1993-2002 games and current games on 1 PC. I don't have room for nor want another desktop system.

Reply 11 of 11, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think you'll achieve what you are looking for. Multiple video cards in previous versions of windows were largely for extra screen real estate.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net