VOGONS

How to run Stacker V4

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 24, by eugeneg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been following two paths (cul-de-sacs).

I now have a VirtualBox host running FreeDOS. The problem I ran into there is that I could not share a drive between virtual and real PCs. I am sure this is possible as I have seen
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Sharing_files_with_DOS
But my brain is not large enough to make it work - on a 64 bit (Windows 7) PC.

I also have another track whereby I have bought an NTFS driver for DOS so that I can see my big disks when I boot off a floppy. The problem I have run into with this scenario is the error message "Stacker not installed". This despite having a CONFIG.SYS that includes
DEVICE=A:\STACKER\STACKER.COM
I can't just copy the whole of CONFIG & AUTOEXEC from the original failed DOS v5 image as when I type VER I get
Windows Millenium [Version 4.90.3000]

I feel sure this shouldn't be so hard. I could try again with the VM on a 32 bit XP machine, but I am really struggling to understand the what the instructions from the above web page are telling me to do and why.

Reply 21 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
eugeneg wrote:

I also have another track whereby I have bought an NTFS driver for DOS so that I can see my big disks when I boot off a floppy.

I hope you didn't actually spend money. Those things are freely available these days.

The problem I have run into with this scenario is the error message "Stacker not installed". This despite having a CONFIG.SYS t […]
Show full quote

The problem I have run into with this scenario is the error message "Stacker not installed". This despite having a CONFIG.SYS that includes
DEVICE=A:\STACKER\STACKER.COM
I can't just copy the whole of CONFIG & AUTOEXEC from the original failed DOS v5 image as when I type VER I get
Windows Millenium [Version 4.90.3000]

So you think there might be some kind of DOS version problem? I'm sure you can find a bootable MS-DOS 5 floppy image on the Internet somewhere.

I am really struggling to understand the what the instructions from the above web page are telling me to do and why.

Can you be a little more explicit about what you do not understand?

Reply 22 of 24, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really wonder, if anyone has ever seen the Stacker compression hardware accelerator card in reality as shown in this advert:
http://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/w … 7/stac-card.jpg
And what PC is of equal speed compared to using such a card?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 24 of 24, by eugeneg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The original problem was resolved as follows:

First I downloaded a dos boot floppy creator from www.bootdisk.com and then created a boot floppy image from Windows XP booted inside Qemu. I then used a 200MB file that I had created with dd as a disk image in Qemu and then booted up from the DOS floppy image that I had created.
Once DOS was booted I then used fdisk to partition the image and then formatted it and then made it bootable using the sys command. I then mounted this image in XP and copied the files from the ISO image onto this image and then when I booted up from this image the stacker driver was initialised and I could see all the files.
I then used a 500MB file that I had created with dd as an extra disk image in Qemu and formatted it. I then started Qemu with both disk images attached , and then used xcopy to copy the files over. I then attached the 500MB disk image to XP booted in Qemu and copied the files off so that I could compress them.
When I copied the files from the Acronis ISO to the 200MB image, the most important thing that I had to remember was to not overwrite any files that were already there.