VOGONS

First post, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I seem to have stepped in it big time. I have two intel SE440BX-2 motherboards lying around and figured I'd put one of them to use in a vintage build with a Powerleap PL IP3-T rev 2 and a Celeron 1.4ghz chip. I fought with it for hours and got no love, so I upgraded the bios and still got no love.

Thinking it was a bad slotket (two of the caps have scratches in them from when someone stupid tried installing an oversized heatsink), I bought yet another Powerleap, this time with a 1.4ghz PIII in it.

Neither the 1.4ghz PIII clocked at 1ghz nor the 1.4ghz Celeron work, and I've tried clocking them down to 66mhz fsb as well. I either get no POST and no video, or the thing crashes miserably within 20 seconds or so.

Has anyone here successfully gotten a PowerLeap to work with an Intel branded mobo, or only with third party stuff (or OEM stuff)?

Reply 1 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Intel oem boards are typically a bad choice for upgrading beyond what Intel intended the board to be used with. Iirc they even released a newer BIOS for one of their i815 boards that specifically BLOCK the use of a Tualatin processor if used with an adapter.

You might be better of using a different motherboard 🙁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 5, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the 440bx chipset is physically capable of using tualatin processors. I've seen it done with a few mods to a P2B-D.

But tetrium is probably 100% correct. ESPECIALLY at the end of the P3 era intel was a real prick. They would do anything short of murdering you to make you buy a pentium 4.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 5, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The sad thing is I did buy a P4, but yes, Intel is extremely predatory. They love to change things to force an upgrade (or to just shaft the enthusiast 🤣).

I guess my suspicions have been confirmed. I know the chipset is entirely capable of this feat, and in fact this is a jumperless board. It should be able to work, but it cannot because it's an Intel board. I've got a rule never to buy Intel brand boards, but these two came out of defunct boxes that I didn't pay for.

800mhz PIII it is then. It seems to run okay, and is certainly an improvement over the 450mhz PII it had in it. That said, I would have been a lot happier feeding my pair of Voodoo2 cards with something that hit at least 1 ghz, but c'est la vie. I guess I could go for a different board, but I'd want to make sure it would take either a PIII-S at 1.4ghz (which is ideal) or a Celly at 1.4ghz, and the boards are pricey on ebay (seriously who pays 40 dollars with shipping for a slot 1 board)? If I could snag a board with the apollo pro 133 or 133a chipset for 20-30 bucks, that would probably be a safe bet, but I'd need to know that there was a bios for it or I'll have bought another paperweight.

Reply 4 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SavantStrike wrote:

The sad thing is I did buy a P4, but yes, Intel is extremely predatory. They love to change things to force an upgrade (or to just shaft the enthusiast 🤣).

I guess my suspicions have been confirmed. I know the chipset is entirely capable of this feat, and in fact this is a jumperless board. It should be able to work, but it cannot because it's an Intel board. I've got a rule never to buy Intel brand boards, but these two came out of defunct boxes that I didn't pay for.

800mhz PIII it is then. It seems to run okay, and is certainly an improvement over the 450mhz PII it had in it. That said, I would have been a lot happier feeding my pair of Voodoo2 cards with something that hit at least 1 ghz, but c'est la vie. I guess I could go for a different board, but I'd want to make sure it would take either a PIII-S at 1.4ghz (which is ideal) or a Celly at 1.4ghz, and the boards are pricey on ebay (seriously who pays 40 dollars with shipping for a slot 1 board)? If I could snag a board with the apollo pro 133 or 133a chipset for 20-30 bucks, that would probably be a safe bet, but I'd need to know that there was a bios for it or I'll have bought another paperweight.

Or just get another BX from another brand. It wasn't the BX chipset that was incompatible with Tualatin, it was what Intel did in the BIOS's.

You "might" be able to get Tualatin working on your Intel boards (with Intel chipset) if you either use an older BIOS or find some modded BIOS.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 5, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

You "might" be able to get Tualatin working on your Intel boards (with Intel chipset) if you either use an older BIOS or find some modded BIOS.

Yeah, I thought about that. When I had trouble with the Celly, I hadn't realized the jumpers were set wrong on the PowerLeap. It ran for the most part other than the crashing. It didn't run any more after I upgraded the BIOS. The other board is not updated in any way, it might be doable. I have to tear out out of the boat anchor it's sitting in though (Cisco Local Director without software, I.E. worthless). Dell had a SE440BX-2 based board in one of their XPS systems (but with the dumb Dell backplate). I thought about modifying that bios, but I can't get my hands on that bios either (the Powerleap site doesn't have the bioses up any more).

Also, I have blown my (miniscule) budget for this rig, but I just snagged a Gigabyte Ga-6vx-4x for nearly two bucks south of 25! It's got jumpers, but with a bios update (that I snagged from the Gigabyte website) it supports multipliers of greater than 15x. Since it's an apollo pro 133A board, all I need is 10.5x to make my PIII-S fly in it, or barring that 15x for my Celly. Upgradeware's support list says it's a lock, so hopefully my PowerLeap will work in it. Bonus points because it has four DIMM slots and supports up to 1.5GB of ram. Double bonus points because my first full build was based upon an apollo pro 133a board (Abit V6X4, may it RIP).