VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Iam having an TEAC 5.25 inch HD floppy drive..Teac FD-55GFR 7193-U

Yes i can use HD 1.2MB floppys now, but because those HD floppy are very rare to find, i want to using also DD and QD floppys.. on my drive.
If i format an HD floppy i get indeed 1.2MB on this floppy..
If i want to format an DS-DD floppy iam getting 645kb on this floppy what isnt correct.. (wrong format)

First what are the difference between:

Single Side - Double Density
and
Double Side - Double Density

I know that the first is using one side, and the second using both sides.. But what does this mean for the storage capacity?

Is this correct?

SS-DD = 150kb
DS-DD = 360kb
DS-QD = 720 kb
DS-HD = 1.2MB

The second i want to know is, if iam buying an full game on this floppy disk 5.25 inch, what capacity would this floppy have? Would this always be 1.2MB?

And how get i using both standards?

I have found this...

http://www.oldskool.org/disk2fdi/525HDMOD.htm#R_1

And this...

http://www.oldskool.org/disk2fdi/525HDMOD.htm#D2F

I found that 1.2MB floppy works on 360rpm. And the 360kb works on 300rpm..

I know i need to set an jumper on 1 and on LG low logic level.
And thats its possible to make an manual switch on it..

But how will the bios will reconize this drive at? What standard?
Do i need to reboot my computer to change the bios settings of this drive?

What about this:

HD (and QD) FDDs are 96 tpi (tracks per inch) disk drives, whereas DD drives are 48 tpi.

Do i need to change something here?

Reply 1 of 3, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ignore Quad Density/QD floppys. If you must have 720KB on a 5.25" floppy, use a High Density disk.

Here are the basic rules of DD disks in HD drives :

You can read a DD 360KB disk in an HD drive, assuming the disk is not copy protected. You can write to new and unformatted or degaussed DD disks, but don't expect reliable reads or writes in a DD drive. You should never write to disks with data on them or which have been previously formatted in a DD drive.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2 of 3, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The drive does not detect automatically if you put a DD or HD in.
DOS format.exe tries by default HD on a HD drive, so 1.2 MB as set in BIOS. Applied to DD disks this gives you a varying lower capacity and can be considered unreliable and not useful.
You have to tell format.exe to target a DD disk by setting switch /f:360.

One more detail is there: HD drives use higher magnetic fields for writing since HD disks usually are hard-sectored. DD disks instead are usually soft-sectored and real DD drives use a lower current thus a lower magnetic field. Using a HD drive for writes on a DD disk works, but trying to write on the same disk later with a DD drive may fail.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 3, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So its not recommend to use DD disk?
The only i want to use DD 360KB is for simple cga / ega dos games that are about 200kb or something like that.
I think its not usefull to use 1.2MB disks, then i could better using 3.5 inch disks...

~ At least it can do black and white~