VOGONS

First post, by paradoxus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does an iLogic 1GB USB flash drive have booting support? I tried to make a dos bootable drive from it but when I try to boot it says missing operating system.

Paradoxus
Tweenage (no that is not a typo) DOS Enthusiast

Reply 1 of 4, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whether or not a system can boot from a USB flash drive is determined by the motherboard/BIOS, not the flash drive itself. If the motherboard supports booting from USB, then it can boot from pretty much any flash drive... the only possible exceptions might be some of those "U3" drives with the built-in autorun stuff, which yours doesn't appear to have.

What did you use to make the drive bootable? It can be a bit tricky to format the things properly... what works best for me is the HP USB format tool.

Reply 2 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your motherboard doesn't support booting from USB you can try this: http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 4, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Whether or not a system can boot from a USB flash drive is determined by the motherboard/BIOS, not the flash drive itself.

That's not really true. If your flash drive has more than one logical unit, it won't boot. I've got a Transcend JetFlash drive that shows two drives: the first is an emulated USB CD-ROM drive, with some kind of "security application" on it; the second is the flash drive where you can put your files. When booting, the first drive kicks in, so it doesn't boot.

Also, I've got a Kingston drive that hangs some motherboards if it's connected while booting. If it's connected before hard disk drive detection, the motherboard hangs; if it's connected AFTER hard disk detection, motherboard will boot normally.

Also, the type of format of the USB is very important. Some options may be USB-FDD, USB-HDD, USB-CDROM of USB-ZIP... most USB installers will work as USB-HDD, but I've seen a motherboard that didn't boot my Puppy Linux with any of those options... until I saw that the USB drive was recognised as another physical HDD (it was listed in HDD drives).

My advice is that you try installing a Puppy Linux in your drive... the installer will format and prepare your drive, so you will know if it is compatible with your motherboard.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 4, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

've got a Transcend JetFlash drive that shows two drives: the first is an emulated USB CD-ROM drive, with some kind of "security application" on it; the second is the flash drive where you can put your files. When booting, the first drive kicks in, so it doesn't boot.

Notice I said in the same post that the exception was the U3 type drives, which work in exactly the way you describe.