VOGONS

First post, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I've finally done it, I've gone off the deep end (well, at least for me).

I've got a socket 7 motherboard en route that I plan to underclock as much as possible (Pentium 90 in this case), and I want to either run Win98SE, or Win 3.1 and DOS on it (maybe even skip 3.1). The plan is to boot into a DOS shell no matter what I do, although 3.1 would be interesting as I never played with it all that long.

I've actually got a stack of sound cards available to me. I'm pretty sure that I want to go with one of my SB 16 compatible cards for certain (with real OPL3), but then I might want to toss an awe64 Gold in there as well for the MIDI it can do via that hideous TSR. The problem is, isn't that Awe64 going to conflict with the SB16? Ideally I'd want the SB16's audio piped to the Awe64 and use the Awe64 strictly for MIDI.

Further complicating things is that I've got a yamaha SY50XG. If I ran 98, I could use it for software emulated DB50XG midi, but it has SB 16 emulation too, so it would conflict with both the Awe64 and the SB16 compat.

I'm getting confused how to set this up at this point, but is there any way I can do the following:
-SB 16 compatible for FM sound
-SB Awe64 gold for Midi sound (with SB16 sound emu disabled)
-SY50XG for Midi sound (with SB16 sound emu disabled)

Reply 1 of 7, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, that's similar to my setup. I have a Pentium 90 in my Dell Optiplex Gs with the following:

SB-AWE32 CT-3900, Roland SC-55 for Midi hooked in through the AWE32's gameport, Gravis Ultrasound 2.4 (currently on the way in the mail)

I was staring at an NEC Yamaha DB60XG daughterboard clone on ebay and pondering if it was worth $20.00. But I was afraid there would be "too much Midi" which would create a time paradox that destroys the entire universe. 😜

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 2 of 7, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I almost forgot, there's an MT-32 under my Sound Canvas somewhere in that pile.

“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi

Reply 3 of 7, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jmrydholm wrote:

Wow, that's similar to my setup. I have a Pentium 90 in my Dell Optiplex Gs with the following:

SB-AWE32 CT-3900, Roland SC-55 for Midi hooked in through the AWE32's gameport, Gravis Ultrasound 2.4 (currently on the way in the mail)

I was staring at an NEC Yamaha DB60XG daughterboard clone on ebay and pondering if it was worth $20.00. But I was afraid there would be "too much Midi" which would create a time paradox that destroys the entire universe. 😜

I would look into getting some 16MB simms and adding 32mb of ram to the AWE first. I think you'll find it might even outdo the SC-55 (maybe).

A DB50XG won't sound as good as if you dropped 32MB of ram into that Awe32 and used sound fonts on it, that's for sure. It will sound good though, but different. The main benefit is it sounds better than the EMU8000 without the ram and the TSR. Since it's hardware, it will sound pretty nice in that regard and with little to no fussing around with it.

I was going to use the SY50XG simply for GM since some older titles will call for MT32 but will work with GM. Ditto for the EMU8000. An SC-55 sounds like a much more compatible solution though 😀.

My problem is I've got multiple SB16 devices, and at least two of them have drivers which are going to try and steal the same address range.

Reply 4 of 7, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I believe I do have RAM in the CT-3900 at the moment. I think I'd be quite happy with a Gravis/Roland/Blaster setup. I haven't messed around with it in a while as I needed to use my XP tower. I'll probably find a nice spot dedicated to my "old ironsides" after I get married later this year. If there's two things my future wife won't make me get rid of, it's my old gaming hardware and my car. I got her hooked on Sega Genesis. :3

Reply 5 of 7, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmrydholm wrote:

I'll probably find a nice spot dedicated to my "old ironsides" after I get married later this year. If there's two things my future wife won't make me get rid of, it's my old gaming hardware and my car. I got her hooked on Sega Genesis. :3

I hope my girlfriend never sees this, but I'm currently trying to do the same thing with her, albeit with a Wii I got her for her birthday.

And there's *no* way my car is going anywhere....

IMG_0088.JPG

bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do....

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 6 of 7, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice 😀 That would kill mine, it's a DeLorean. looks great, albeit with an underpowered engine. Hopefully the tornado we had this week didn't kill my car or the garage it was stored in at the mechanics. But before the mods kill me for going off topic 🤣 uhh ahh um sound cards! memory. 4-bit. 20 pin. 🤣 and stuff...mmmrghle it's 1:42AM zzz

Reply 7 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Damn megatron-uk, looks like you live at a VERY nice location! Cheers! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!