VOGONS

Laptop Question

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by n3xu5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings!

This would be my first post and first time visiting these forums, so let me start off by asking what may be a common question.

What are the ideal specs for a DOSBOX? (not to be confused with the software emulator), by this I mean a dos gaming computer... I'm looking at two possible laptop candidates right now and I'm not sure if I should grab either just yet. Perhaps some of the dos guru's can provide some enlightenment to the unenlightened.

Candidate#1 - TOSHIBA PORTEGE 3015CT
Intel PII: 266Mhz
Memory: 32MB EDO DRAM (Upgradeable to 96MB)
Video: NeoMagic (2160) 2MB 32bit
Sound: Yamaha OPL3-SA3 (Supports SoundBlaster Pro v3.01)
Storage: Internal 4GB Hdd

Candidate#2 - ThinkPad 770ED
Intel PII: 266Mhz
Memory: 256MB SDRAM
Video: Trident Cyber9397 2MB or 4MB (unknown which size)
Sound: CS4237B Audio controller
Storage: Internal 9GB Hdd

Which setup would be ideal for DOS games in native DOS and anything that may require Win95 DOS? Opinions? All criticism is welcome!

Reply 1 of 5, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would recommend you just skip the laptop and go for a desktop.

However, if you want it to be a laptop, then the Toshiba is definitely the way I'd go. Real OPL3, and 32MB of ram is plenty for Win95 and DOS, although the 96MB would be a lot snappier.

Reply 2 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The CS4237 should have YMF262 integrated in there afaik, I know the CS4248, CS4231 and CS4232 do. Also, the Trident has decent VGA and VESA. I'd go for #2 of these #2s.

90's Thinkpads are less reliable than 90's Toshibas. These days though, it's the reverse... so #1 might be a cool pick too possibly though I never used anything Neomagic.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SavantStrike wrote:

I would recommend you just skip the laptop and go for a desktop.

I'd agree.

And welcome to Vogons! Now wheres my coffee...

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 5, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Either one would suffice, however, I would lean more towards #2, as you're more likely to get better overall performance, and audio compatibility should roughly the same between the two. Not too familiar with the NeoMagic (read: NeoTRAGIC) chips besides the fact that they're optimized primarily for GUI acceleration, so DOS VGA and VESA performance is questionable.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 5 of 5, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CS4237 has an OPL3 clone inside. (@leileilol: the other chips you mention do not have any FM functionality)

The OPL3-SA has a genuine yamaha OPL3. I like the standalone OPL3-SA ISA cards, but remember having trouble trying to get the laptop chip to function in DOS.

The big problem with a laptop based DosBox is the screen. It will scale badly if it scales at all. A 4:3 CRT screen is the way to go.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul