VOGONS

First post, by mrlemonyfresh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried and had no luck getting Omikron: The Nomad Soul to work in a satisfactory way.
-I tried with my new computer with ATI graphics, and the best I can get is direct x, running smoothly - but with highly obstructive artefacts as a result of the fog (I assume so since it matches the fog's colour) and software mode is simply way to slow.
-On my brother's computer who has NVIDIA graphics, and it's the same obstruction but filling in the entire screen.
-On virtualPC, but only software mode works and the keys log sometimes.
-On virtualbox, thinking that since it had directx 3d support and win98 support i could have both at once but I was wrong.. and it's slow anyway..
-Haven't tried VMware.. is that my solution?

Plus it's not just this, there are a lot of games I can't enjoy to the full because of this. I don't mind a challenge, I've got games like thief 2 and system shock 2 to work PERFECTLY (the 2 most challenging to date) but when I just CAN'T run it on win 7 this is where I need other plans.

If I can't find a solution here I'll just wait to the holidays and see if I can put together a legacy computer, but I REALLY don't want such a good excuse to have yet more junk laying around my room.

Reply 1 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, there is currently no way to get hardware acceleration in a VM with Windows 98. The best shot for that sort of thing at this point is Win98 + DOSBox + Voodoo emulation, which is still a terrible, impractical, and wholly unsupported way of doing things.

I'm not sure about Windows 7, but Omikron apparently can be persuaded to work with XP, and you can get D3D support in XP in a virtual machine.

Reply 2 of 14, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, it won't happen. As Jorpho said, no virtual machine supports hardware acceleration inside a guest Windows 9x session. And there is no easy solution other than a legacy computer for those games with serious compatibility problems. Omikron: The Nomad Soul uses a 16-bit z-buffer, which modern graphics cards do not support anymore. And older graphics cards with 16-bit z-buffer support do not have drivers for modern operating systems anymore.

There may be some combination of a not too old, not too new graphics card and a specific driver version that falls just between both categories and allows to play the game without issues, but it's hard to tell whether a given combination will work or not. If I had to blindly choose one, I would say a Matrox G550 PCIe. It is a very similar card to Matrox G400, and this one had support for 16-bit z-buffer. Besides, it is probably one of the oldest graphics cards with Windows 7 x64 drivers. Other Matrox cards like G450/G550 PCI have at least Windows Vista drivers, that may or may not work in Windows 7.

Reply 3 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heck, even Piranha wouldn't run in VPC without stuttering all the time...

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Omikron works fine on Intel graphics cards in Windows 7 64bit. (915/945 and Intel® 4500MHD Graphics Accelerator)

Probly not the latest integrated Intel HD tho.

Alot of older games work fine on Intel cards as opposed to Nvidia/ATI due to Intel not doing much to improve their graphics cards. (That's likely changed with Intel HD tho)

IIRC the 4500MHD is DX10 but only the latest 2nd gen Intel HD is a DX10.1 part.

Likely that Intel HD got rid of the 16 z-buffer but would have to test.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA

So find an old laptop with an Intel graphics card (or a new laptop with an Intel chipset older than Intel HD) and you should be good to go!

It's possible that the Voodoo patched being worked on for DOSBox would allow old D3D games like these to work. That's really our only option since no other VMs are ever going to bother with D3D support below D3D8.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2011-06-09, 09:28. Edited 8 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 14, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The whole point of virtual machines is so you can execute code without worrying about some nasty virus hijacking your system. That you can run older OS's and software with them is more of a side benefit. If virtual machines started allowing direct access to more hardware than they already do, then the chances for malicious code being able to do damage greatly increases. That's why programs like Virtual PC emulate an S3 Trio video card (at least the last Mac version did) instead of accessing your physical video card directly. It sucks for gaming though because the emulated hardware usually isn't very high spec. It's typically just enough to be usable with no bells or whistles.

Reply 6 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So when you use D3D hardware acceleration in XP running under VMware or Virtual PC, does the virtualized D3D hardware have the same limitations as the host hardware (such as the lack of a 16-bit Z-buffer) ?

sliderider wrote:

The whole point of virtual machines is so you can execute code without worrying about some nasty virus hijacking your system.

That's a nice side effect, but there are other ways to do that. I'll admit I'm a little unclear on the concept, but basically virtual machines were originally intended to allow multiple different servers to share the same hardware resources.

Reply 7 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

So when you use D3D hardware acceleration in XP running under VMware or Virtual PC, does the virtualized D3D hardware have the same limitations as the host hardware (such as the lack of a 16-bit Z-buffer) ?

sliderider wrote:

The whole point of virtual machines is so you can execute code without worrying about some nasty virus hijacking your system.

That's a nice side effect, but there are other ways to do that. I'll admit I'm a little unclear on the concept, but basically virtual machines were originally intended to allow multiple different servers to share the same hardware resources.

Don't really know what they were originally intended for, and to me this doesn't matter all too much anyway. It's "what can I do with it?" that matters to me.
It's a great way to test an OS without having to reinstall everytime you mess something up (just copy a virtual harddrive and it's all been reset 😁)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

win2k + wined3d is okay though

So WineD3D is good for something after all in its present state? I had been wondering about that. Are you saying you use that combination in VirtualBox?

Reply 10 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

wined3d is used by VirtualBox in it's additions. IIRC it wraps D3D8+ to OpenGL but only supports Windows 2000+.

Also is appears that wined3d development has stalled so who knows how long VirtualBox will support it 🙁

Reply 11 of 14, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

sliderider wrote:

I only have the last version of Virtual PC for Macs which is VPC7 and under XP I can't run 3D games at all because, as I said, the emulated video card is only an S3 Trio which has no 3D acceleration. I get an error box that says "No 3D accelerator found" or something similar depending on the game. Whichever virtualizer you're using would have to emulate a video card with 3D acceleration or else have access to your real video card in order to run games that require a 3D accelerator. Go to device manager in your virtual machine and see what video card is shown under display devices. That will tell you what the virtual machine is using for video output.

Reply 12 of 14, by mrlemonyfresh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies, so far the best option that seems to have popped up came from leileilol, I'm sure Omikron would run in win 2k, most of these difficult to run games usually run in win 2k. I could try that, then win xp. Otherwise I'll go down stairs some time and see what I can make of the old bits of computer (if they still remain there)

So is wine3d already integrated into virtualbox or do I need to make some separate installs?

Reply 13 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Install the virtualbox additions which include wined3d

Last edited by DosFreak on 2011-06-09, 13:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

I only have the last version of Virtual PC for Macs which is VPC7 and under XP I can't run 3D games at all because, as I said, the emulated video card is only an S3 Trio which has no 3D acceleration. I get an error box that says "No 3D accelerator found" or something similar depending on the game. Whichever virtualizer you're using would have to emulate a video card with 3D acceleration or else have access to your real video card in order to run games that require a 3D accelerator. Go to device manager in your virtual machine and see what video card is shown under display devices. That will tell you what the virtual machine is using for video output.

Quite right, there is no D3D acceleration in Virtual PC. My bad; I thought I read about that somewhere. But it is most definitely in VMware, or at least in the Windows versions.

vmware-3d-xp-guest-dxdiag.jpg