VOGONS

First post, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I want to pull the trigger and upgrade the ram on my CT3600 (sb 32, basically Awe32 without legit OPL3 and without ram on card.

I want to add twin 16MB 30 pin simms to get the 28MB of ram the card can address. I'm having trouble though.

First off, what do the specs need to be?
-60ns, or 70ns?
-FPM, or can EDO memory work too (if I found it)
-5V (that much is obvious)
-Can it be 16mx9, or only 16mx8
-Can the memory be parity (pretty much the same question as if it can be 16x9

Can I find any TIN lead memory with the following specs:
-5V
-70ns fpm (60 would be better I suppose)
-16mx8
-Non parity

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply 1 of 49, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just recently got these: (x2)

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World% … uting/30PS16MB/

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 2 of 49, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, forgot to add details- it's 12:30 here and I need some zzzz's!

Size: 16MB
30-pin SIMM
60ns
(16x8)
Fast Page Mode
Non Parity
5v

I installed them just a few days ago and they work great. I just played Descent with my AWE32 last night.

“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi

Reply 3 of 49, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I saw those before, thanks for telling me the merchant is good, they are some of the only ones I've seen that are at all decently priced. The trouble is they are gold plated. I worry about oxidation.

One could always remove them and polish the daylights out of them I suppose if they ever got oxidized.

Reply 4 of 49, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wouldn't it take quite some time to oxidize? I live in MO and it gets rather humid, but I've never pulled my old desktop's memory out to check.

Reply 5 of 49, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jmrydholm wrote:

Wouldn't it take quite some time to oxidize? I live in MO and it gets rather humid, but I've never pulled my old desktop's memory out to check.

It should take a while, yes. I could probably spray some contact protection stuff on there to help keep it happy longer too (my weapon of choice is DeOxit shield). The thing is though, you're probably running tin ram in tin slots on the motherboard. This gold stuff seems to be rarer, at least from what I've seen, but it's backwards when you hit 30 pin simms, then it's hard to find tin and easy to find gold. Apple used 30 pin simms though, which could explain it. Chances are good I'm just being anally retentive about this too.

I found some in tin, but it's parity. I'll update the title to ask that specific question. If parity works, then I can have my cake and eat it too. If it doesnt, then I'm going to have to risk it with gold. I doubt anyone would have tried parity back in the day on a sound card either, so I could be out of luck on this front.

Reply 6 of 49, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would the Acer part #30.0049.039 work for you? I saw some photos on google and it appears to be tin, but I couldn't tell. Here's another link to try:

http://www.memoryx.net/300049039.html

Edit: here's another to help

http://www.upgradecomputermemory.com/ram.cfm/ … -4C8F41-80.html

Reply 7 of 49, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jmrydholm wrote:

Would the Acer part #30.0049.039 work for you? I saw some photos on google and it appears to be tin, but I couldn't tell. Here's another link to try:

http://www.memoryx.net/300049039.html

That looks like the stuff. Nice find! Maybe gold with corrosion looks better now though. 40 bucks for ram...

I did just find this post on another forum stating parity is okay. I'd like confirmation that it can work with 16x9 memory though before I pull the trigger on 22+shipping for ram. I found some parity stuff for 11 bucks a stick. Link somewhere around here...

Reply 8 of 49, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jmrydholm wrote:

This is for a 4MB module btw, not worth $5/piece imo

Very tricky, read this bit:

4 pcs 4MB 30-pin non-Partity SIMM

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 49, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SavantStrike wrote:

I did just find this post on another forum stating parity is okay.

Hehe, I had forgotten about that old post of mine <grin>.

Anyhow, yes, the AWE32 isn't too picky about the SIMMs that you install... parity or non-parity woeks just fine, and the oficial AWE32 FAQ states: "Hardware specifications call for SIMM modules with 80 nanosecond or better access times.". So's 80Nns (or anything faster) will be just fine 😀

SavantStrike wrote:

I'd like confirmation that it can work with 16x9 memory though before I pull the trigger on 22+shipping for ram.

I can't hardly remember what I had on all of my AWE32s at the time, but IIRC I did indeed have some 16x9s on some of the cards, working just fine.

BTW (O.T.), all of the links in the afore-mentioned thread (to the MP3s) are LONG since-gone... surf here -> http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/ttmusic.htm 😀

(edit) P.S. Scroll down to message post #4 within that afore-mentioned thread, then surf to the "Soundfonts Collection" section within this thread here at Vogons -> Creative Labs Sound Blaster ISA Cards' Drivers Collection (Old Thread) <grin> 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 10 of 49, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rfnagel wrote:
Hehe, I had forgotten about that old post of mine <grin>. […]
Show full quote
SavantStrike wrote:

I did just find this post on another forum stating parity is okay.

Hehe, I had forgotten about that old post of mine <grin>.

Anyhow, yes, the AWE32 isn't too picky about the SIMMs that you install... parity or non-parity woeks just fine, and the oficial AWE32 FAQ states: "Hardware specifications call for SIMM modules with 80 nanosecond or better access times.". So's 80Nns (or anything faster) will be just fine 😀

SavantStrike wrote:

I'd like confirmation that it can work with 16x9 memory though before I pull the trigger on 22+shipping for ram.

I can't hardly remember what I had on all of my AWE32s at the time, but IIRC I did indeed have some 16x9s on some of the cards, working just fine.

BTW (O.T.), all of the links in the afore-mentioned thread (to the MP3s) are LONG since-gone... surf here -> http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/ttmusic.htm 😀

(edit) P.S. Scroll down to message post #4 within that afore-mentioned thread, then surf to the "Soundfonts Collection" section within this thread here at Vogons -> Creative Labs Sound Blaster ISA Cards' Drivers Collection (Old Thread) <grin> 😀

Boy is my face red.

Richard F. Nagel, composer. Couldn't possibly have been the same rfnagel from Vogons. Nope, not at all. 😁

Well thanks for the assist. This means I'm good to go. The stuf I found is this ram right here. 60NS, 16x9 parity (though saying it's parity is redundant since it's 16x9), 30 pin FPM. Most importantly, it's tin, so no galvanic corrosion. It came out to 26 and some change shipped 😀.

Reply 11 of 49, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SavantStrike wrote:

Boy is my face red. Richard F. Nagel, composer. Couldn't possibly have been the same rfnagel from Vogons. Nope, not at all. 😁

Hehe, I'm ALL over the Internet... weather or not, you or I, even know it 🤣! Heh, had an online presence well before Al Gore "invented" it, too <grin> 😀

SavantStrike wrote:

Well thanks for the assist. This means I'm good to go. The stuf I found is this ram right here. 60NS, 16x9 parity (though saying it's parity is redundant since it's 16x9), 30 pin FPM. Most importantly, it's tin, so no galvanic corrosion.

That looks like it will work just fine 😀

SavantStrike wrote:

It came out to 26 and some change shipped 😀.

That sounds like a really good price 😀 I shudder to think what I had paid thoughout the decades for the same for all of my AWE32s.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 13 of 49, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elfuego wrote:

Thats an excellent deal! I payed 2x16MB with pure gold two years ago (well, actually it was about 50e...)!

That's the price a lot of sellers want to charge. Between 30 and 60 USD per stick. I wasn't willing to pay that, it seemed too high to me.

Reply 14 of 49, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SavantStrike wrote:
elfuego wrote:

Thats an excellent deal! I payed 2x16MB with pure gold two years ago (well, actually it was about 50e...)!

That's the price a lot of sellers want to charge. Between 30 and 60 USD per stick. I wasn't willing to pay that, it seemed too high to me.

I wouldn't pay that much either. I was lucky to have been gifted a few sets of 16MB 30p SIMM modules or I wouldn't have bothered in the first place, due to the high costs involved. But that's just me

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 49, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
SavantStrike wrote:
elfuego wrote:

I wouldn't pay that much either. I was lucky to have been gifted a few sets of 16MB 30p SIMM modules or I wouldn't have bothered in the first place, due to the high costs involved. But that's just me

Who has spare 30 pin simms lying around in 16mb format? I couldn't even find them on ebay.

Reply 16 of 49, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SavantStrike wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
SavantStrike wrote:

Who has spare 30 pin simms lying around in 16mb format? I couldn't even find them on ebay.

Dunno. I was very fortunate. I saw an advertisement of someone who had tons of old stuff he wanted to throw away and I ended up with more then 2 large shopping bags full of parts (he didn't want to part with his Voodoo's though 😜) and after I came home and sorted the stuff, I saw them in between them.

Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 49, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SavantStrike wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
SavantStrike wrote:

Check the published link above 😀 Maybe there are more around!

Reply 18 of 49, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elfuego wrote:

You mean the link mentioned in jmrydholms post?

jmrydholm wrote:

That does look like 16MB modules to me 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 49, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
You mean the link mentioned in jmrydholms post? […]
Show full quote
elfuego wrote:

You mean the link mentioned in jmrydholms post?

jmrydholm wrote:

That does look like 16MB modules to me 😉

They sure are available.

And the one I posted too, although the stuff I bought cost more, and frankly I'd have gone non parity if I could have, but I'm OCD and don't want to think about galvanic corrosion.