VOGONS

First post, by Ailicec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Everyone,

I picked up a 386-33 motherboard on Ebay to run old software and have a testbed for old hardware. Its one of the American Megatrends Baby Screamers (386 Baby Screamer Series 42, slightly different than the ones you can find at stason.org), and I was really hoping it would turn out to be a good find.

Unfortunately all it will do is beep a POST code indicating the A20 problem. I switched memory out, no change. Since this board doesn't have a discrete keyboard controller, I'm guessing the problem is on the CHIPS F82C711 peripheral controller. I'm not entirely afraid of replacing that PQFP chip, but finding it is going to be awfully hard. Also I could be wrong on which chip - the datasheet for the CHIPS doesn't mention the keyboard, and there are two other VLSIs chips on it, and one completely unlabled 100 pin QFP.

The board also had some bent header pins, no big deal, and a sliced PCB trace, which I fixed (poorly but it should work, also I think its to an ISA slot, which is not critical at this point). Probably what happened with this board is it failed 15 years ago, got thrown in a pile, then dug up to dump on the ebay market.

I know the chances are slim, but it seems a shame to dump a nice board. Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Deep scratches can cause all sorts of trouble. It's possible something gets shorted somewhere in the PCB and in such case theres nothing practical you can do.
Perhaps a good idea would be to check if theres any further damage?
I found sometimes boards have oxidized contacts within the memory slots or even PCI or ISA slots

Doing a quick google, could you remove the BIOS battery for a while? (even though it's probably soldered in...nothing to loose, right?)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 10, by Ailicec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll keep checking for other problems. The battery attaches with a header and didn't come with the board. I rigged up a 3.6 volt pack for it but it didn't help (in or out). The detachable battery was nice, otherwise it would have ended up like my other 386, with blue trace-eating gunk all over the place.

Reply 3 of 10, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

a20 problem is the keyboard

"In what was arguably a "hack", the A20 gate was originally part of the keyboard controller on the motherboard, which could open/close it depending on what behavior was desired. "

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 6 of 10, by Ailicec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally got around to trying this again.. no luck, but I noticed the 8042 is socketed and could, in theory, be replaced (probably not at a very economical price, given the low chance it will fix anything). I have never heard of anybody replacing that chip to fix the problem, but it seems like there might be a chance. It seems to be customized by the vendor so I'd probably have to get the exact one.

Unrelated, I also got an older and much slower 386sx running again, well mostly. Can even get it into Win95 courtesy of an impossibly slow 2mb Aboveboard, but it is, let us say, impractical.

Reply 7 of 10, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the a20 gate handler is not on the board its on the keyboard
did you try another keyboard ?
that is the fix that worked for me every time

Reply 8 of 10, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> the a20 gate handler is not on the board its on the keyboard
You are wrong.

The 8042 chips are sometimes interchangable between mainboards, so if you have some to try...

1+1=10

Reply 9 of 10, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you could be right there, but it is on the keyboard controller and changing keyboards can fix he problem, ive done it myself a few times

Reply 10 of 10, by Ailicec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good news. I found a replacement AMI 8042 on ebay (what are the chances), got it tonight and popped it in, and it worked! One Baby Screamer back from the grave.

Haven't gotten it going 100% yet. The jumpers don't match any of the guides that pop on the net - its a series 42, so you'd think its a Mark V Baby Screamer, but it doesn't match the layout. It doesn't match the Baby Screamer LC layout either. But I've got enough to boot, which is a lot better than before.

Thanks everybody for looking at it.