VOGONS

First post, by Glitchologteam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there, I would like to a virtual guest OS of Windows 95 and Windows 98 and I would to know what is the best virtual os program to use. I would also like to have a links about that program so I can set up those OS correctly.

So far I tried
VMWARE (No matter what I do, you cannot put game full screen like you can in DOSBOX)
What I mean is that you cannot play a game fullscreen unless it is the same resolution as the host operating system. Strangely, on virtual PC, you can play game on REAL full screen no matter the resolution, but you can't play any 3D games...
Virtual PC (Cannot emulate Direct 9X)
Virtual Box (No matter what I do, you cannot put games full screen like you can in DOSBOX and direct9x is not working very well)
Bochs and QEMU (I really need a easy to understand tutorial)
DOSBOX (Windows 95 and 98 is not supported althought people manage to make it work)

Im aware that one of the solution is to WAIT but I would like to know if I can sucessfuly run those OS perfectly (ALL GAME SUPPORTS, Program, etc.) and having a big hardware space for each of them

Thanks

Last edited by Glitchologteam on 2011-06-26, 05:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Um, there's no such thing as "Direct 9X". Do you mean DirectX 9?

Glitchologteam wrote:

What I mean is that you cannot play a game fullscreen unless it is the same resolution as the host operating system.

And why is this a problem?

Im aware that one of the solution is to WAIT but I would like to know if I can sucessfuly run those OS perfectly (ALL GAME SUPPORTS, Program, etc.) and having a big hardware space for each of them

You're right, if you want to do absolutely everything, there's probably no solution for that. But since you probably don't want to do absolutely everything, why don't you say exactly what you want to do?

Reply 2 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Glitchologteam wrote:

Thanks

We solve this problem by building a specialized retro rig, it's the best option 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All VM's that support Windows 98+ support DirectX9 just fine. What you probably mean is D3D support.

Only VirtualBox\Vmware support D3D8+ in Windows 2000+ guests.

There is no single VM software that supports everything perfectly. You must use multiple VM software if you want to run as much software as possible..... and they will never run "perfectly" because you can't run ALL games "perfectly" even on one single physical machine.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 9, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Glitchologteam wrote:

We solve this problem by building a specialized retro rig, it's the best option 😉

Gotta agree..... if you are not happy with VMWare or virtual PC then this is probably the best option.

You could try dual booting win9x with a more modern version of windows I suppose, or even just getting a cheap second hand hard drive and installing win9x to that. Assuming you can get win9x drivers for your hardware which is probably assuming a lot for any remotely recent systems. I prefer the 'seperate box' option myself 😀

Reply 5 of 9, by Glitchologteam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well ive got answers here, so I will deal with may VM emulator to run those OS. If Virtual PC would have directX, opengl or other graphic driver support, it would be the ideal one. I may try a DOSBOX attempt to install windows 95 and play some game that do not work in another VM.

Reply 6 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember I once tried an old asteroids clone named Piranha in VPC, and it was very choppy even though the host OS was a s939 A64 with 2gigs of RAM! -_-

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 9, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Probably the best solution to this is to build a small MicroATX machine with an AMD Athlon with a GeForce 2/3 and Voodoo2s, with a Sound Blaster PCI. Either that or get a small old P4 based Shuttle with said hardware and install W98SE/W2K dualboot.

Reply 8 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RichB93 wrote:

Probably the best solution to this is to build a small MicroATX machine with an AMD Athlon with a GeForce 2/3 and Voodoo2s, with a Sound Blaster PCI. Either that or get a small old P4 based Shuttle with said hardware and install W98SE/W2K dualboot.

And I'd guess that something like this solution would also be the cheapest solution 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 9, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

vmware is faster than virtualbox IMO, and it has better 3D support... it also allows various hardware redirection from the host and various other hacks that are difficult/impossible to do with other virtualization programs

downside with vmware is, it doesn't have sound blaster emulation... virtualbox has SB16 emulation and does it so well, it could fool the creative labs drivers and software to mostly work

so it really depends on what you want... sound blaster be damned since you're playing D3D games in windows anyway... it won't matter since it will use directsound and therefore through windows... if you want to play dos games, dosbox is the way to go

if I must virtualize and use win98, I'd go vmware