VOGONS

First post, by Ahcruna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there.

First things first though. 😀
I just made my account here after hours of searching around the net.
I'm really sorry if I posted this in the wrong sub forum, and I've been using the search function and manually looking. Though I have yet to find the answer to my question. (I'm sure it's here, I just used the wrong search criteria)

My question is is as follows.

Which one of the Sound Blaster 16 CT versions would you recommend?
like, which one has most of it's chips and would be preferred over the later releases.
The same question goes for AWE64 (if they have any difference)

Another thing I would like to ask. Is it worth getting a CT3600 and/or CT3670. The place I found them in has them listed as AWE32, though what I have come to understand from reading in this forum is that those are not AWE but something like SB32.

They are all ISA cards.

Also, as a side note, I'm very interested in the different OPL's

This place is quite exciting. I look forwards to reading the rest of the useful information you have here, and again I'm sorry if the answer is in an obvious place, but I'm still looking and reading. 😀
( Before I arrived here I didn't even know about the CT**** difference. )

Reply 1 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My favourite Creative cards are the Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 and the AWE64 GOLD. But you will find that everyone has their own preferences. So ideally just buy a few cards, listen to them and choose your favourite.

There are also many cards from other manufacturers which you might find interesting!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 11, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's a lot of good detail in this thread: SB16 vs DBs (hanging / stuck / wrong notes in MIDI)

But yes everyone seems to have their own opinions.
I personally like the SB16 CT2800 or CT2900 (both functionally identical). They work pretty well, have a real OPL3 and don't have the noise issues that some earlier models have.

I have an SB PRO CT1690 in my 386 that sounds good too but the sound is a bit more filtered than the SB16. May or may not be to your taste. There are some games that were written for an SB Pro and don't function 100% correctly on an SB 16 - I think Wolfenstein 3d is one of them (you miss out on stereo sound with the SB16 IIRC).
If you want to go down the MIDI path, with a wavetable daughterboard or an external unit like an SC55 then you are opening a whole new can of worms as many Creative cards had the hanging note bug. In which case I'd suggest looking at clone cards instead, like ESS based cards.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 4 of 11, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes it has a Vibra. The Vibra's tend to have better quality output than the earlier cards, however a lot of later vibra's don't have a real OPL chip so their FM synth sounds wrong.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 5 of 11, by Ahcruna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found this CT2800 (attached image)
Is the one containing the OPL3 supposed to look like this?

There are two versions of it, one doesn't have the IDE connector and a couple of chips to the left. (unlike the attached image)

Attachments

• Filename
    SB16CT2800IDE.jpg
    File size
    213.7 KiB
    Downloads
    148 downloads
    File comment
    SB16 CT2800
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 11, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep that's right. Look to the right of the big Vibra 16S chip, just to the lower right of that big rectangular silver thing; that's the Yamaha OPL chip there.

Reply 8 of 11, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DonutKing wrote:

There are some games that were written for an SB Pro and don't function 100% correctly on an SB 16 - I think Wolfenstein 3d is one of them (you miss out on stereo sound with the SB16 IIRC).

It is true that SB16 and later SB ISA cards don't support SB Pro digital sound effects in stereo - you'll only get mono output instead.
However, Wolf3D is a bad example, because in this game, "stereo" sound effects DO work on SB16 cards. The reason for this is that technically, Wolf3D only plays mono samples, but uses the onboard mixer to pan them into position (left/center/right). The advantage of this method is that it hardly uses any CPU time. The drawback: Only one sound effect can play at a time.

Reply 10 of 11, by Ahcruna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That does sound interesting, I'm guessing Blake Stone is effected by that too?

I got a CT3670, CT1740 and a CT2800. the CT1740 I got because of the thread that listed the different cards with the note hang bug 😀

Reply 11 of 11, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I assume the CT2940 has the hanging note bug? SB16 ISA

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME