VOGONS

First post, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Has anyone ever succeeded in properly installing and getting SB16 emulation drivers work for an Audigy 2 ZS card in win98? I know it MUST be possible with some sort of tweaking or hacking, because one time I installed Audigy 2 ZS WDM drivers in win98, then used the driver utility to switch to ".vxd" drivers, then installed SB16 emulation drivers of an Audigy (1) card. I managed to set its resources in a way it did not conflict with anything in the system. Then started DOS games and before I was kicked back to desktop, I heard perfect music/ effects for a few seconds, whatever the given game started up with.

The SB16 emulation driver also exists on the install CD of the Audigy 2 ZS, but it never gets installed and manual install will not work (there is always a resource conflict with other devices)

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 1 of 2, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

try booting from a dos 5 floppy
run the audigy 2 dos setup
notice the changes it makes to the autoexec.bat and config.sys
make those changes on your autoexec.bat and config.sys on your c: drive also copy any files/folders the setup creats on your floppy

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 2, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks Davros,

this solution should work in pure DOS,
also there are hacked Audigy 1 DOS drivers by Attila Padar which work with some Audigy 2 cards - in DOS.

However, I would also like to have SB16 emulation in Windows 98 SE. That is difficult even for an Audigy 1 sometimes. This is because .vxd drivers must be installed (not the default WDM drivers) and SB16 emulation must be installed manually afer that...

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."