VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi all

I want to build an AMD athlon 1400mhz config..

AMD athlon thunderbird
Abit KT7A-Raid motherboard KT133A chipset
512 MB PC-133 Ram

I have at my home a Geforce 4 TI4600 Asus laying over here.

But in this review:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/7200/7

This card having an bump map depth problem

Iam not going to use windows xp in this system, only windows 98se or windows ME..

What graphics card would you recommend me? I want a card that has the same speed or faster.. Maybe an ATI would be a great idea.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 6, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had an Asus Ti4200 and don't remember ever having this problem? It sounds like an issue with the drivers they were using at the time.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 2 of 6, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, i have searched myself on the internet for information..

The latest directx windows 98 se / me was supporting was directx 8.1

So i had to find an dirext 8.1 graphics card for my system.. because an direct 9.0 card wouldnt not doing more that windows 98se would support..

The fastest ATI card was a Radeon 9250.. And the Nvidia was a Geforce 4 TI 4600 128mm.. Because that geforce card was the fastest you could get. So i think that iam having my answere..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3 of 6, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote:
Ok, i have searched myself on the internet for information.. […]
Show full quote

So i had to find an dirext 8.1 graphics card for my system.. because an direct 9.0 card wouldnt not doing more that windows 98se would support..

The fastest ATI card was a Radeon 9250.. And the Nvidia was a Geforce 4 TI 4600 128mm.. Because that geforce card was the fastest you could get. So i think that iam having my answere..

Windows 98 supports DirectX 9.

From Wiki entry for DirectX

DirectX - bimonthly updates 4.09.00.0904 (RC0 for DX 9.0c)

The February 9, 2005 release is the first 64-bit capable build.[10]The last build for Windows 98/Me is the redistributable from December 13, 2006.[11] The last build for Windows 2000 is the redistributable from February 5, 2010.[12] April 2006 is the first official support to Windows Vista[13] and August 2009 is the first official support to Windows 7 and DX11 update[14]

I also have Windows 98 drivers for my GF 6800 Ultra Extreme which is a DX 9 card.

List of supported products for the last Windows 98 driver from NVidia website

http://www.nvidia.com/object/81.98_9x_supported.html

You're pretty much stuck with GeForce 6 if you want the fastest possible card with a Windows 98 driver because the 9800XT is the last card ATi made with a driver for 98. X800 requires 2K/XP.

Reply 4 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote:

DirectX 9.0C Nov 2006 build

Geforce 6800 Ultra AGP. Find them, those are definitely top-end Win9x cards. Also however the thunderbird will be bottlenecking them hard. A Geforce4Ti or R9500 is ideal for Thunderbird

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 6, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:
Robin4 wrote:

DirectX 9.0C Nov 2006 build

Geforce 6800 Ultra AGP. Find them, those are definitely top-end Win9x cards. Also however the thunderbird will be bottlenecking them hard. A Geforce4Ti or R9500 is ideal for Thunderbird

Something lower down in the GF 6 pecking order might also be worth considering. A vanilla 6600 or 6600 LE might work without the CPU bottlenecking them and you'd have the advantage of a card where Purevideo actually works to speed up video decoding. It's broken in all NV40 based cards. Some AGP 6200 cards will also unlock to 6600 specs, but you have to know which ones to look for. If the heatsink and memory chips are mounted diagonally with a smaller heatsink to the lower right, that is an NV43 6200. The ones where the heatsink is mounted normally and there is no heatsink to the lower right are NV44 and not unlockable. You use RivaTuner to do the unlocking.

If they look like this, they will almost always unlock. Revision A2 and earlier boards work best. Revision A4 and later doesn't.

C460-7036.jpg

These will never unlock

XFX%20GeForce%206200%20256MB%208x%20AGP.jpg

PCI/PCIe, or low profile AGP cards also will not unlock. The 6200 cards that you still see being sold new won't unlock. 6200TC cards don't unlock. Some of the cards that don't unlock may also have a fan on top of the heatsink so the presence of a fan is no indication of what you have.

Reply 6 of 6, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:

Abit KT7A-Raid motherboard KT133A chipset
I have at my home a Geforce 4 TI4600 Asus laying over here.

Have you already tried this board/card combination? I'm asking this because my KT7A-Raid (rev 1.0) board has stability problems with faster AGP cards (TI4600, Quadro4; Radeon 9800 wouldn't even boot).