Advice needed for Win98 gaming pc

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Hmm...another option (also the easiest option) would be to keep the G200 and simply add a Voodoo 2 to it (and build another rig […]
Show full quote
memsys wrote:

Thanks for the help everyone

So the g200 is going to be replaced with a v3 for sure .
Perhaps i'll replace the sb64pci and the CPU depending on the performance of the system but i doubt it , like Tetrium said may as well build a new rig then

Hmm...another option (also the easiest option) would be to keep the G200 and simply add a Voodoo 2 to it (and build another rig for faster games). SLI is an option but not necessary I guess...

bushwack wrote:

Yeah there is no reason not to have a pre-99 AND a post-99 rig. 🤣

Yup! 😁

Also 1Ghz Coppermines and it's parts are cheap these days, though I am noticing it seems to become easier to find P4 boards these days. P3 is going the way of the dodo, but very slowly.

You can find them cheap, but you'll have less choice.

P4 seems too new for a Win98SE rig. Then you run into issues with 3Dfx hardware. Either need to find a AGP 2.0 spec (better known as Universal AGP?!) board for V3-V5 AGP cards. and run extra cooling on all 3Dfx cards PCI/AGP alike for risk heat damaging them. Then again P4 didn't come into it's own till Northwood and DDR.

I thought it was better to have a 1996-1997 rig AND then a 1998-2002 mixed rig 😀 Anything after that then just your current main fastest rig after that!

Reply 21 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Coppermine is a Pentium 3. They have either AGP 2x or AGP 4x (aka universal AGP). Pentium 4 boards typically don't support AGP 2x cards, including the usual 3DFX AGP cards.
Otoh, Athlons supported AGP 4x all the way to the KT333 chipset, which is a DDR chipset and supports up to the XP 3000+ or so sometimes 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22 of 22, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Pentium 4 boards typically don't support AGP 2x cards, including the usual 3DFX AGP cards.

I have an MSI 645-L Combo board that has an AGP 2x/4x slot. V5 and V3s work perfectly in it. I have to admit I'm lucky to have it. Also, it supports both DDR and SDRam. And 533mhz Northwoods. 😁