VOGONS

First post, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I hope this is the right place.

I have a SBLive! (CT4760) which works fine in Windows. The SB16 Emulation works fine in pure DOS, but I cannot for the life of me get it to work at all, whatsoever, in Windows. The driver never installs automatically and a manual install doesn't work. I am using Windows 98SE.

ctsb16.jpg

ctsb16-2.jpg

ctsb16-3.jpg

sbego.jpg

I am using the drivers (yes, I'm using the VXD drivers, although I had a hard time persuading Windows to use them instead of the WDM drivers) that came on the CD (which curiously, also had Audigy drivers and software on it, despite being a Live! CD). I think I did manage to get it working once (in an old installation of Windows 95) by using older drivers, but then I couldn't use some of the advanced features, and I don't think the software recognised it.

Autoexec.bat:

@if exist C:\WININST0.400\SuWarn.Bat call C:\WININST0.400\SuWarn.Bat
@if exist C:\WININST0.400\SuWarn.Bat del C:\WININST0.400\SuWarn.Bat
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\sbdos
rem lh C:\windows\emm386 auto

C:\sbdos\sbeinit
rem C:\sbdos\sbeload
rem LH C:\windows\command\MSCDEX.EXE /S /D:mscd001
rem lh C:\mouse\mouse.com

;SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\BORLAND\DELPHI5\BIN;C:\PROGRA~1\BORLAND\DELPHI5\PROJECTS\BPL
lh mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
lh mode con codepage select=850
lh keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys

Config.sys:

dos=high,umb,auto
device=C:\windows\himem.sys /testmem:off
devicehigh=C:\windows\command\emm386.exe noems
devicehigh=C:\windows\setver.exe
;devicehigh=C:\windows\command\oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
devicehigh=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys

ctsyn.ini:

[ctsyn.drv]
OPLPort=388
MPUPort=330
SBPort=220
SBIRQ=5
SBDMALO=1
SBDMAHI=5
SBEnable=true
JoyPort=200
JoyEnable=true
Waveset=C:\sbdos\default.ecw
PCIPort=1420
PCIIRQ=10

[SBEINIT]
CONFIG=SBESET.CFG

[SBESET.CFG]
SBPORT=220
MPUPORT=330
SBIRQ=5
SBDMALO=1
SBDMAHI=5
OPLPORT=388
SBENABLE=TRUE
JOYPORT=200
JOYENABLE=TRUE
WAVESET=C:\SBDOS\DEFAULT.ECW
PCIPORT=1420
PCIIRQ=10

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reply 2 of 6, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried moving the card to another PCI slot, but that didn't work. I think it's worth noting that the same slot used to have an Aureal Vortex card, whose SB Pro emulation did work in Windows.

I think I may try Liveware 3 and see if that works

Reply 3 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Try temporarily disabling the sb joystick, deleting the emulation again, reboot and hope it gets correctly found then. If that works you need to play with the joystick irq,dma settings when you enable it again.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 6, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Migrating the card usually works because the allocated IRQ and memory range will get changed. But the card must be recognised as a new card. So you must purge all traces of the drivers from registry. Boot in safe mode and delete ALL Creative card components (instances) present under Sound and Game controllers, also from Multimedia Devices... etc.

Then use a registry cleaner tool that can purge Creative drivers.
After that, you can reinstall the drivers. This method worked for me in most cases. (I never succeeded in manually installing SB16 emulation either.)

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 5 of 6, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got it working! 😀

And it didn't involve moving cards or disabling features (actually I did try that but it didn't work). I just completely uninstalled the drivers from the CD and installed Live!Ware 3.0 (from here) and used the driver utility, and voilà! The SB16 Emulation and everything else was automatically detected and installed.

But I've noticed that this SB16 Emulation driver uses CTSYN.vxd instead of CTSB16.vxd. I wonder if the CTSB16.vxd driver is for the Audigy and not the Live!?

RichB93 wrote:

I had this, after moving cards around it eventually worked. Strange conflict.

cg15 wrote:

moving cards around it eventually worked. Strange conflict.

Is there an echo here?

Thanks for the help anyway

Reply 6 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's a signature spammer

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper