VOGONS

First post, by Dan9550

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, i've have in my possession a Ensoniq Audio PCI 5100, i don't know to much about the card and i am finding it hard to find any information. Would anyone be able to give me a general overview of the cards capabilities?
Also there is a port on the back of the card that looks like an s-video connector what is this port used for?

Reply 1 of 19, by duralisis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The mini-din port is for a breakout cable with multiple inputs (mic, line, etc) and I think the big black thing on top in this pic (http://images.addoway.com/items/2846/1402371/ … 46_1_abcb00.jpg) is like a heatsink, since the chip it's touching is a 20-w amp or such. You might be able to use breakout cables from other cards (M-audio, etc); I could only find a few pages with people talking about the pinout.

Reply 3 of 19, by Dan9550

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok so i have finally got this card in a pc (running windows 98SE) i installed the latest drivers and its working but the sound output is insanely low. I have the windows mixer master volume and wave volume both at 100% and the sound is still low, anyone got any ideas?

Reply 4 of 19, by Dan9550

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm wondering if it requires an extra power connection, it has 4 connections on the top POWER,CD AUDIO IN, FRONT, TAD. The connector labled POWER looks like a plug for a Berg connector but it has -12 and +12 above some of the pins which is confusing me 😖

Reply 5 of 19, by Dan9550

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Would anyone be able to shed some light on my problem here? i really want to get this card working properly but im afraid im going to burn it out or something if i try this power connector

Reply 6 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

why don't you post a nice high-res pic of the card so we can look at the power connector you mention?
I guess the card does need power for it big amp , but that is only a guess...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 19, by Dan9550

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok here is a picture, hopefully we can figure this out, as i have been google-ing for hours and there is almost no documentation on this particular card. All i have found out is that an HP OEM version of the card.

Attachments

• Filename
    DSC00050.JPG
    File size
    2.61 MiB
    Downloads
    240 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am almost sure the power connector is to power the LM amp... look at the specs here: http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/vi … SC/LM1876T.html
do you have a multimeter? it would help if we knew at what pins of the LM the power connector ends...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

see what pin(s) on the power connector goes to the LM amp ... just touch one end to the 1st pin and start testing the pins on the LM and see where a connection is made... then write it down and continue with the next pin on the power connector
then we will see if the power-in is for the LM amp and if it is what the pins are

Reply 12 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it looks like the LM gets -12v, +12v and the 2 middle pins are gnd...

are you feeling adventurous? connect there a floppy power cable WITHOUT THE RED WIRE THAT IS +5v (yellow to +12v - pin4 in your list - and the 2 black wires in the middle) and see if it works... the card might get the needed -12v from PCI pin B1 (which makes sense since there is no -12v signal available easily elsewhere)
but be prepared, this might not work , there is a chance you will damage your hardware....!

Reply 14 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can't really tell... you could end up with a dead card but I doubt it... worst case scenario the LM gets toasted. not a big deal IMHO since you could not get it working right at the first place...
see the pci connector here: http://pinouts.ru/Slots/PCI_pinout.shtml , and check if the -12v pin does indeed connect to the pci pin B1 on the card...

Reply 19 of 19, by Dan9550

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well i did it i wired the -12V into the connector replacing the +5V and it now works perfectly 😁, Thanks to all that assisted me in figuring this out.

Attachments

• Filename
    DSC00058.JPG
    File size
    1.86 MiB
    Downloads
    218 downloads
    File comment
    My sound card connector with -12V GND GNG +12V
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception