VOGONS

BeOS

Topic actions

First post, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, so um, I don't know if this is in the proper section, but what ever, it will get moved by the lord of [bold text with brackets stater] so, I have a computer with BeOS 5.0 and I was wondering, first what the he** is it, and second, were there any games for it?

Reply 2 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There is also google...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 18, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So far I have found kumo-beos(tumbler) Games software for Beos BeOSnews BeBits(might be usefull) and even more, did I hear you want the original site? Well, here it is.

Last edited by dosquest on 2011-10-10, 22:16. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 4 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's fun to mess around with, but I never managed to do much practical with it.

It's slightly strange that (like so many Linux distributions) they quietly bury the command terminal deep in a menu somewhere, when you actually need that terminal to do some things, despite it being a "multimedia OS".

Reply 6 of 18, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

beos was awesome, it could do stuff like run multiple avi files that put windows to shame

you should watch this (and part 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggCODBIfWKY&feature=related

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 7 of 18, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dosquest wrote:

It saddens me that it was killed, I really think it's great.

Well, you can always resort to Haiku.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 9 of 18, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Might want to start here: http://www.bebits.com/browse/2
Though a lot of it looks outdated to me. Doom, Duke3D, Quake1/2 run OK on it, as long as you have proper drivers for your graphics card.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 11 of 18, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Whoops, didn't notice that the first time, my bad. 😮

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 13 of 18, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There a few commmercial games and official ports:
Corum III
Hopkins FBI
Civilization Call To Power
Doom
Quake
Quake2
Abuse.
A Quake3 port exists, it works best with a Voodoo3 card and the leaked Voodoo3/OpenGL driver.
This driver can be used to play Quake2 in HW-accelerated OpenGL as well.

A leaked port of Worms Armageddon exists.
There are a lot of SDL games and emulators for 8/16bit consoles.

Reply 14 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Apparently the GoBe Productive suite was the descendent of ClarisWorks (later AppleWorks) for the Macintosh, which I spent so many years with during high school. But given that it was ported to Windows, that's not much of a reason to use BeOS. (I wish they would release it as freeware one way or another.)

Reply 15 of 18, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dosquest wrote:

Okay, so um, I don't know if this is in the proper section, but what ever, it will get moved by the lord of [bold text with brackets stater] so, I have a computer with BeOS 5.0 and I was wondering, first what the he** is it, and second, were there any games for it?

The question nobody has asked yet (but should have) is: Is this an actual BeBox we are talking about here? They are somewhat rare and coveted machines among collectors.

Reply 16 of 18, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If we're speaking of a BeBox, the list of commercial games is quite shorter than the one I posted above (there's Doom), but you can run MacOS 7.5.2 to 8.6 using SheepShaver and MacOS games from the era at native speed, that should entertain you for some time.

Reply 18 of 18, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

BeOS was a fairly slick multimedia centric OS that came out in the late 90's or so which could do things like run liveCD at a time liveCD's were rare, and would run on line a Pentium 100 well still. It had more usefulness for applications than games. It probably has no modern use except as a novelty.