VOGONS

First post, by chilledinsanity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to run the old Windows 95 game Obsidian, and am doing so on a virtual machine since this game doesn't run on modern OS's. I'm currently running Windows 7 64-bit with 8GB of RAM. I've tried running this game on multiple virtual machines, but I'm baffled as to what the best way to do this is. Here have been my results:

VMWARE: Runs the game, MIDI music is reasonably high quality, but I'm getting a frequent popping sound in the audio when I play the game. It makes it far too frustrating to play. I'm using the Ensoniq PCI soundcard drivers as I saw those recommended in some threads.

Virtual PC 2007: Runs the game, but MIDI music is of very low quality. I also receive a stuttering every 30 seconds or so, but this seems to be system-wide, not sure what's causing it. This build was using the SB 16 drivers, since I couldn't get much else to work.

VirtualBox: Runs the game, but MIDI music is completely non-existent. I'm using the Ensoniq PCI soundcard drivers again, but I may have done something wrong compared to VMware. Normal sound works fine.

All Virtual Machines are running a copy of Win98SE.

If anyone has advice as to what software / drivers / settings you would have to run this game AND have high-ish quality MIDI music (something with a soundfont / emulated wavetable, etc.), please let me know.