VOGONS

New enough to be old?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 44, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got low expectations for Skyrim to be honest. From what I've seen so far a lot of stuff has been simplified and streamlined even more... less weapon and armor categories, less skills.... combat looks just as tedious as oblivions with some silly finishing move. Radiant storytelling (remember what a crock Radiant AI turned out to be?) which is just a fancy name for dynamically generated quests like in Daggerfall.
The whole fighting dragons thing reminds me of oblivion gates; after the first one or two you'll realise just how boring and tedious they are.
They've already said the lead platform will be console not PC so we can expect a silly cumbersome interface like we got in Oblivion.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ɯıɹʎʞs

if they manage to fix all this and the game is actually good then I'll be pretty happy but I'm not expecting it...

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 21 of 44, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, yeah. It's Bethesda. A lack of testing, more hype than substance, more news about paid-for glowing reviews and DLC than there is for patches and bugfixes... its how they've rolled for the past 20 years. It's how RAGE and Brink got bad launches, further tarnishing the id software brand, painting John Carmack as an idiot in front of ignorance, etc....

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 22 of 44, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MaxWar wrote:

Problem is its apparently going to use steamworks... Which means im not buying it.

What's your issue with steam out of interest? It took me a few years but I quite like it these days; it's easy and reliable and I'm not fussed about the imposed DRM.

Reply 23 of 44, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MaxWar wrote:

Yes, I forgot to add i was playing oblivion in 1920x1200 with every settings maxed and the Ultra detailed texture mod installed 😜 I think you need at least a geforce 9x to run Oblivion with such specs around the 60 fps . But you just wont get there without the cpu clocking around 3.5 Ghz or more.

Need more video card than that for 60fps. With texture + skin packs and various mods (too many to list) installed to make the game look better plus playing at 1680x1050, most settings maxed, an 8800GT would average around 40+ fps (forest) with a fast Athlon 64 (around 3ghz). This is what I played Oblivion on c. 2007. A Core 2 at 3+ghz would do a bit better, but then Oblivion at that res is more GPU bound than CPU limited.

Oblivion is anyway just one of the games that came out around 2006-07 that really went nuts with system requirements. The system requirements were so high for those two years for the top titles that the average person's gaming rig c. 2005-6 became horridly obsolete overnight.

Ex. in late 05 I built a brand spanking new Athlon 64 3000+ rig with an 6600GT, 1 ghz ram and stuff. Impressive stuff for the time- most people were creaking along on P4s and GF4Ti combos. A year later in the face of games like NWN2, Oblivion, CoH, Titan Quest, it was a dead duck.

Of course to build something in 2006 enabling me to play these titles in their intended glory would have been too expensive. The tech was certainly there and very impressive for it's time- Athlon FX or Core 2 E6xxx series, Radeon X1900XTX, Nvidia 8800GTS but this stuff cost a bloody fortune in 2006. And that was the problem most gamers faced at that time.

Only in 2007 did such things become cheap enough to be mainstream, and then widescreen gaming took off and entered what is probably the current "modern" era.

Reply 25 of 44, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:

Only in 2007 did such things become cheap enough to be mainstream, and then widescreen gaming took off and entered what is probably the current "modern" era.

Widescreen tried to take off. Many times. 1997's Darklight Conflict is in perma-wide for example

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 26 of 44, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good point there sgt76. I also remember whenever a new game / engine came out you had to upgrade your PC.

These days, maybe thanks to the consoles, but also because of the resolution ceiling of 1920 x 1080, a new games comes out (like Crysis 2, Bioshock 2, Battlefield 3) and it works just fine on mainstream video cards.

E.g. when Doom 3 came out you really needed a Geforce 6 series card.

There was also the whole issue with DX versions different render paths.

E.g. my brother played Farcry on a Ti 4200 and loved it. But that was in DX8 render path which was faster but didn't look as nice.

Reply 30 of 44, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stull wrote:

"If Doom 3 was released in 1998..."

to be fair, they could do that on a pcx2 since it was the only card with a 32-bit stencil buffer at the time, it'd be doom3 with the bumpmaps turned off and the special cubemap projectors gone

Last edited by leileilol on 2011-10-25, 22:16. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 31 of 44, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jwt27 wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

E.g. when Doom 3 came out you really needed a Geforce 6 series card.

Or a Voodoo2. :lol:

Awesome!
Really, it looks better than I imagined it would.

Reply 32 of 44, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Once the Doom3 source code comes out I think there will be a special vertex light simulation path for the rendering on older hardware being tried out by some crazy programmer, I predict

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 33 of 44, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

These days, maybe thanks to the consoles, but also because of the resolution ceiling of 1920 x 1080, a new games comes out (like Crysis 2, Bioshock 2, Battlefield 3) and it works just fine on mainstream video cards.

I think the console limitation factor is holding back developers from pushing the graphical boundaries and that's fine and dandy IMO. My last graphic card purchase was actually a downgrade to a card that is quieter and less hot (from a stupid CrossfireX beast) and I'm still getting great frames on the most recent games.

Reply 34 of 44, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DonutKing wrote:

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ɯıɹʎʞs

That is so cute! Im gonna have to save him to a macro key! 😊

badmofo wrote:

What's your issue with steam out of interest? It took me a few years but I quite like it these days; it's easy and reliable and I'm not fussed about the imposed DRM.

The short:
-Ugly bloated, useless programm.
-I hate useless TSR
-Forces you to put all the games together at the same friggin place.
-Forces you to start Steam to play your Damn Game.
-You basically need the net all the time to play your games, Ohh but theres offline mode apparently! Oh yes? then why cant i simply but steam in Offline mode and be done with it?
-How you like automatic forced updates up your throat?
-Steam support team are a bunch of dicks.
-You need 3 accounts. 3 FRIGGIN ACCOUNTS!! The main one, Separate -HelpDesk/feedback account and Forum Account.
-Steam is basically Totally usesless : Its only good for achievement craving kiddies.
-DRM copy protection? My Arse, the games get hacked all the same as before. Its just more fun for the hackers, they like it even more when its harder.
-All other steam ''Features'' could be achieved before steam, only difference is that steam forces you to load more stuff regardless if you need it or not.
But people actually like it when you wipe their arse for them. Steam is just Easier for them... And ... It haz Atchievmentzzzz!
-The reality is that steam has created a Church of following fanboy legion that go cry to all game producer so they make their game steamworks, which in turn makes the steam digital store imbedded in virtually all new releases. Pretty clever, i gotta give em that, i could almost like them, IF ONLY THEY WERE NOT SUCH DICKS!!

The long ...
Well, It all began when i bought HL2 . Was never a big fan of HL so i bought it pretty late....
Ahhh screw it, im not gonna bother with the long version, its gonna take friggin pages. I JUST HATE STEAM WITH ALL MY GUTS! ...

Lets just skip to the end of the long version. I was really hating steam and had issues about steam '' lack of configurabitly '' I wanted to complain to support team. But i could not enter the feedback section without creating a Support Acount. WTF do i need a support Account for, i already had the steam acount. Then i write them how much i think they suck along with a list of things i thing they should fix. Then after a couple days, they thank me for my feedback but tell me i am not at the right place because the devs dont really bother to read the feedback section, that i should write my concerns in the support forum instead. WTF WAS THE FEEDBACK SECTION GOOD FOR THEN? So i go over at the support forum .. .. TO DISCOVER I NEED A THIRD ACCOUNT FOR THE FORUM!!!

That was too much, i was utterly insulted. I deleted steam and all my steam games forever, Vowed to never buy a Steam Powered Game ever again. ( that was a couple months after empire total war release. Last steam game i bought. )

Nowaday virtually all new mainstream games are SteamWorks, They succeded in creating some sort of gamer Jijhad that forced steamworks all over the place. Even the producers are starting to like steam because it makes thing easier for them and their gamers like it, with the modest cost of selling them your self respect and including the steam store along with the games, all contributing to increased collective dumbness.
I decided i would not be part of that, I had been using impulse for years. I really liked Stardock, at first they stood up to steam and DRM with a good ideal and a transparent attitude and they were making kickass 4x games to boot. For a bit i was only buying games of impulse. But since they screwed big time with elemental war of magic and ended up selling impulse to Gamestop, and impulse started selling Steam games too. I lost fate.

I So I Dug up my old 486, joined VOGONS and decided to play good classics and let the rest of the pc gamers steam fanboys spoil themselves in their own crap 😉

Conclusion:

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ɯɐəʇs

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 35 of 44, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't you love it when you start a simple topic and it blows up into this gigantic 100,000,000 page thread? 😜

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 37 of 44, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just got back from my evil industry-killing gamer-betraying steam gaming. TF2 😁 🤣 😁 🤣

The reason for the 3 account thing is how the databases work, different servers, etc. For support you'd need a professional and real account with your name for a ticket system; for forums it's a different database (and you wouldn't want a vb incident occuring with your steam account in jeopardy would you)

I tried to put my 486 in the Valve Hardware Survey once.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 38 of 44, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MaxWar wrote:
That is so cute! Im gonna have to save him to a macro key! :blush: […]
Show full quote
DonutKing wrote:

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ɯıɹʎʞs

That is so cute! Im gonna have to save him to a macro key! 😊

badmofo wrote:

The short:
-Ugly bloated, useless programm.
-I hate useless TSR
-Forces you to put all the games together at the same friggin place.
-Forces you to start Steam to play your Damn Game.
-You basically need the net all the time to play your games, Ohh but theres offline mode apparently! Oh yes? then why cant i simply but steam in Offline mode and be done with it?
-How you like automatic forced updates up your throat?
-Steam support team are a bunch of dicks.
-You need 3 accounts. 3 FRIGGIN ACCOUNTS!! The main one, Separate -HelpDesk/feedback account and Forum Account.
-Steam is basically Totally usesless : Its only good for achievement craving kiddies.
-DRM copy protection? My Arse, the games get hacked all the same as before. Its just more fun for the hackers, they like it even more when its harder.
-All other steam ''Features'' could be achieved before steam, only difference is that steam forces you to load more stuff regardless if you need it or not.
But people actually like it when you wipe their arse for them. Steam is just Easier for them... And ... It haz Atchievmentzzzz!
-The reality is that steam has created a Church of following fanboy legion that go cry to all game producer so they make their game steamworks, which in turn makes the steam digital store imbedded in virtually all new releases. Pretty clever, i gotta give em that, i could almost like them, IF ONLY THEY WERE NOT SUCH DICKS!!

The long ...
Well, It all began when i bought HL2 . Was never a big fan of HL so i bought it pretty late....
Ahhh screw it, im not gonna bother with the long version, its gonna take friggin pages. I JUST HATE STEAM WITH ALL MY GUTS! ...

Lets just skip to the end of the long version. I was really hating steam and had issues about steam '' lack of configurabitly '' I wanted to complain to support team. But i could not enter the feedback section without creating a Support Acount. WTF do i need a support Account for, i already had the steam acount. Then i write them how much i think they suck along with a list of things i thing they should fix. Then after a couple days, they thank me for my feedback but tell me i am not at the right place because the devs dont really bother to read the feedback section, that i should write my concerns in the support forum instead. WTF WAS THE FEEDBACK SECTION GOOD FOR THEN? So i go over at the support forum .. .. TO DISCOVER I NEED A THIRD ACCOUNT FOR THE FORUM!!!

That was too much, i was utterly insulted. I deleted steam and all my steam games forever, Vowed to never buy a Steam Powered Game ever again. ( that was a couple months after empire total war release. Last steam game i bought. )

Nowaday virtually all new mainstream games are SteamWorks, They succeded in creating some sort of gamer Jijhad that forced steamworks all over the place. Even the producers are starting to like steam because it makes thing easier for them and their gamers like it, with the modest cost of selling them your self respect and including the steam store along with the games, all contributing to increased collective dumbness.
I decided i would not be part of that, I had been using impulse for years. I really liked Stardock, at first they stood up to steam and DRM with a good ideal and a transparent attitude and they were making kickass 4x games to boot. For a bit i was only buying games of impulse. But since they screwed big time with elemental war of magic and ended up selling impulse to Gamestop, and impulse started selling Steam games too. I lost fate.

I So I Dug up my old 486, joined VOGONS and decided to play good classics and let the rest of the pc gamers steam fanboys spoil themselves in their own crap 😉

Conclusion:

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ɯɐəʇs

My solution:

1. Buy Steam game.
2. Crack Steam game.
3. Play standalone game. Done.

😁

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 39 of 44, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I love steam because I move a lot and physical media is a real pain for me. I also love to buy games under $10 when they on sale and still fairly recent 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel