VOGONS

First post, by j'ordos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I have problems connecting a win98se machine to a wireless network. I'm using an USB wireless stick (asus WL-167g). The network uses WPA encryption so I had to install the Mcafee Internet Security Suite which enables WPA support in win98. It can see the network and connect to it without problems, but actually opening a webpage does not work. I was able to connect to the internet using the same setup fine on a different network (though it often required restarting the pc a few times) but now it just won't work at all. WinIPcfg reports it didn't find a DHCP server. I have done a lot of searching already but I can't find a solution and I don't know what to do anymore. Does anyone have ideas on what I could do? Or how to enter the information manually?

Thanks in advance and let me know if there is more information you need!

Reply 1 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd set static IP's first and start troubleshooting from there.

Also verify the network stack on 9x.

Finally,
You can buy a wireless bridge device or install OpenWRT, Tomato, DDWRT on an old router and turn it into a bridge.

Much more compatible than trying to find compatible solutions for 9x.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 2, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What kind of wireless stick? The only ones I've had good success w/ were older Linksys sticks. What also worked well for me were the PCMCIA-to-PCI adapters w/ ahin PCMCIA wireless card. I have a nice little Hawking card in one of those in my P3 workstation.

Lately, I've been buying up the cheap mini-PCI cards, and then getting the PCI-slot adapter + RP-SMA leads + antennas from the Chinese places on e-bay. The older Cisco Aironet cards seem to work the best w/ 98/Me. You can usually score everything for about $20 or less.

dcp01523.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...