VOGONS

First post, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In going through some of my older cast-off stuff, last night, I came upon an old "hybrid" PC I built back in the mid-2000's. I was doing a lot of freelance 3d modeling and FEA at the time, and wanted a new PC but couldn't afford TWO new PC's, so I put together a 3D hybrid PC, at least that's what I called it back then. It seemed like a good idea at the time, anyway.

Asrock 939Dual-SataII
Athlon FX-53
2GB RAM
WD 200GB SATAII HDD
BFG Geforce 7950gx2 PCIe(laughs!)
Wildcat Realizm 200 AGP 8x (for 3D CAD on a VP2290b)
Gigabyte i-RAM w/ 4GB (copied my models here)
BFG Physx card (laughs! -- some more)

1/2 a gamer and 1/2 a CAD machine, probably didn't do either very well in the grand scheme of things.

I robbed the case and other bits for other projects. Why do I have a hankerin' to fire this bad boy back up and load Vista64? I could now use the i-RAM as a Readyboost! 😀

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...

Reply 2 of 12, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

vista/7 will only do readyboost on usb dongle devices iirc. Now having a I-ram as a disk cache or BOOT drive would be wonderful!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 12, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was being a jokester. 😀 Besides, what else could you do w/ such a small amount of non-volatile RAM? I thought you could use SSD volumes as Readyboost? -- I've never done it, yet to get Windows7 installed on my computer.

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 6 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Davros wrote:

the iram only supports 4gb you need a hyperdrive 5
http://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/

That's intersting...

Some things that makes me look further into it:

- Is there a DDR3 version?
- Sustained Read Rate of 175 MB/s isn't that fast compared to SSD
- Boots XP in 4 seconds? IMO not possible because of the CPU doing things and waiting for other devices or drivers

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccbXovLRMuI

Reply 7 of 12, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

About 4-5 years ago I contacted this company on behalf of my employer. It was nothing but vaporware at the time, but they were certainly happy to take our money. AFAIK the product was never delivered while I was there, and I left that company in early 2008. As always, though, YMMV.

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 8 of 12, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the hyperdrive may be vaporware, but someone did make a 64gb DDR2 ram one. Aparently it will max out a sata2 connection, so they gave it two!

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option= … d=308&Itemid=60

Reply 10 of 12, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The unit itself runs $300. And to get to 64gb, you need EIGHT 8GB dimms. Those are $300 a pop, new.

so a fully populated drive = $2700 YIKES!

That being said, If I ever hit the lotto, I'd get 24 of them, and fully max them out and put them one one of these bad cards: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16816118137

A man can dream, can't he?

Reply 11 of 12, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
7cjbill2 wrote:
In going through some of my older cast-off stuff, last night, I came upon an old "hybrid" PC I built back in the mid-2000's. I […]
Show full quote

In going through some of my older cast-off stuff, last night, I came upon an old "hybrid" PC I built back in the mid-2000's. I was doing a lot of freelance 3d modeling and FEA at the time, and wanted a new PC but couldn't afford TWO new PC's, so I put together a 3D hybrid PC, at least that's what I called it back then. It seemed like a good idea at the time, anyway.

Asrock 939Dual-SataII
Athlon FX-53
2GB RAM
WD 200GB SATAII HDD
BFG Geforce 7950gx2 PCIe(laughs!)
Wildcat Realizm 200 AGP 8x (for 3D CAD on a VP2290b)
Gigabyte i-RAM w/ 4GB (copied my models here)
BFG Physx card (laughs! -- some more)

1/2 a gamer and 1/2 a CAD machine, probably didn't do either very well in the grand scheme of things.

I robbed the case and other bits for other projects. Why do I have a hankerin' to fire this bad boy back up and load Vista64? I could now use the i-RAM as a Readyboost! 😀

Ummm...how do you have both an AGP and PCIe card at the same time? I thought these hybrid boards didn't use a true AGP slot but ran a single PCIe x16 slot with shared AGP and PCIe connectors so you couldn't have both slots active at the same time the same way shared PCI and ISA slots can't both be used at the same time.

Reply 12 of 12, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This one's actually got 2 physically separate connectors...one PCIe and one AGP. If I remember correctly, there's a PCIe 1x slot between the two.

Will pay $$$ for: