VOGONS

First post, by superorc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone. In the past recent months I have been interested in playing older DOS/Win9x type games so I recently build a system to handle those. I put together a system with these specs:

Intel Pentium II 350
128 Meg SDRAM
ASUS P2B-F Motherboard
Diamond Viper V770 AGP

I have installed Windows 98 Seceond Edition and I have tried several drivers for the Viper but after every time I install the drivers when Windows 98 SE starts to boot up it seems to load, but then the graphics just black out. I checked out the jumpers on the V770 to make sure they are set for 2X AGP as the P2B-F has a 440BX chipset. The PCI slot next to the AGP slot is empty as I've heard that can cause an issue as well. Has anyone else experienced these issues with the V770?

Reply 1 of 15, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've never had any issues with the V770 and any i440BX-based motherboards. Which drivers have you been using (i.e. Diamond's or the actual NVIDIA reference drivers)? Please post your motherboard's BIOS settings too, just to be safe (e.g. if the AGP aperture size is set too low or something).

I had a GeForce4 MX card that had the exact same issue though, turns out the card was bad and needed to be replaced.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 3 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

V770 has jumpers to enable and disable AGP 4x support. There's a PDF manual that explains them that you should be able to find with a web search. Might want to try verifying those and perhaps even trying them set both ways.

Reply 4 of 15, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a V770 for years in 440BX, ServerWorks II and Athlon MP board - always rock solid. It's still going in one of my machines somewhere (can't remember which one!).

Does it work anywhere other than Windows (ie in Dos / VESA modes, a Linux live cd etc...)

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 7 of 15, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I only experienced issues with a Viper V550 on a LX motherboard. Any 3D game would display blurried textures and freeze after a couple of seconds. When I switched to BX, the problem went away.

Reply 8 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
superorc wrote:

Well, the Viper works correctly under OS/2 Warp 4 with the Scitech Drivers. So I have no idea why its not working with Win9x.

Are you using the same rig for this?
If not, it could be the motherboard not having sufficient power provided to the AGP slot to supply the Viper 770 of juice. Many early AGP boards had this problem

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 15, by superorc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I installed Windows 2000 Professional and the Viper V770 works great. Installed Quake 2 and OpenGL mode is working wonderfully and I'm running the demos in timedemo mode in loops to make sure the card is fine. I did switch sound cards as I had an Ensoniq AudioPCI, which I switched to an ESS Audiodrive 1868, so maybe that was it. I'll have to do a Windows 98 SE reinstall to see if that was the case. I need more CompactFlash cards now!

Reply 12 of 15, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
superorc wrote:

It's the same exact computer. Also I checked the BIOS and the AGP Aperture is set to 64 MB.

Increase this size to the maximum possible.

Reply 14 of 15, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe due to conflicting IRQ? I think it's worth to try both cards with different IRQ settings. You can manage them in the Win9x Device Manager.

Reply 15 of 15, by superorc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It could be, but honestly I don't want to use that card anyways. I just put it in temporarily because the only ATX power supplies I have on hand lack the -5v rail and wasn't sure if my ISA sound cards would work or not. Right now I have an ESS 1868 Audiodrive in it with my DB60XG, but I'm looking into getting another card thats better. Right now I have several sound cards but I'm not happy with them for the games that I want to play. I have:

Sound Blaster 16 CT2830 with hanging note problem and its pretty noisy
2 x ESS Audiodrives, one is terribly noisy, the other isn't as much
Sound Blaster AWE64 CT4520, terrible General MIDI and no daughterboard support, DOS support isn't that great either

So I'll be looking for another card that isn't noisy and has either decent onboard wavetable or a wavetable header.