VOGONS

First post, by voodoo do-er

User metadata

By

Last edited by voodoo do-er on 2015-12-26, 00:44. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 4 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No really the FX cards are pretty good for old games because they support stuff like paletted textures and fog table. OpenGL is excellent too of course.

Actually for a P3, I prefer Voodoo5. Bar none the most compatible and brings top notch image quality to old games. But they are expensive these days...

Reply 9 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't think of any gaming advantage to a GF3 over a 5900 though. Except maybe the much lesser heat production if that matters.

GF3 is really too slow for antialiasing and anisotropic for example. The high end FX cards actually seem like glorified GF4Ti cards to me 🤣.

Reply 10 of 13, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Even a lowly FX 5200 (128-bit) can beat out a GF3 Ti 200 in some cases. Personally I prefer the GF4 Ti (sharper anti-aliasing compared to the GF3) as your P3 won't be bottlenecked as much, but if you wanna use high-level anisotropic filtering you're looking at a serious performance drop. Doesn't seem to matter for really old games though, as long as it's running smoothly it's fine.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 12 of 13, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Probably the best choice then. If Mr. Toastytech uses it for gaming then I don't see why not. 😜

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 13 of 13, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A bottleneck shouldn't matter, ive run Crysis on a Pentium 4 using a Radeon X850 which is a bit of a mismatch... if the game isnt CPU limited the "bottleneck" is irrelevant.

As long as you aren't playing a game which wants a faster CPU it wont matter, and even when it does a faster card is still better, just means you won't be bottlenecking at the card is all. 😀 Crank up the AA and enjoy.