VOGONS

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So in the process of restoring my SFF 486, I found a system in my garage that I had forgotten about.

Its a Pentium Pro 200, 64mb RAM, 8x CD ROM, some kind of SCSI card, generic sound, and what *appears* to be a PCMCIA drive right below the 3.5" floppy.

I think this may be a more viable candidate for my restoration. It will post and I can get into the BIOS, but I keep getting CMOS checksum errors and I'm assuming this is because the CMOS battery is shot? I'll have to get a new one (and for the other box too). Do they still sell these at Radio Shack? Or will I get a glazed look if I ask for one?

The PCMCIA card drive is kinda neat, I was thinking I could use it in the SFF 486, but if I do that, I lose the floppy. Plus, there's a good chance its a scsi device.

I don't know that I want to dump a ton of cash into the little guy, when its going to be very limited anyway in what it can do. The P-Pro might make a be better bet.

Reply 1 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
snorg wrote:

It will post and I can get into the BIOS, but I keep getting CMOS checksum errors and I'm assuming this is because the CMOS battery is shot? I'll have to get a new one (and for the other box too). Do they still sell these at Radio Shack?

That depends entirely on what kind of battery it is. If it's a CR2025 "coin" battery, those are available everywhere. (I suggest the dollar store.)

snorg wrote:

and what *appears* to be a PCMCIA drive right below the 3.5" floppy.

Those are kind of uncommon. If it's SCSI, it's probably some kind of relatively-obscure magneto-optical drive.

Reply 2 of 5, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked up a couple flat disc batteries from the local Rat-shack, so hopefuly one will work.

I'm pretty sure its a PCMCIA drive - it has what looks like a type I slot stacked on a type II. I can post a picture later, but it doesn't look like any MO drive I've ever seen.

Reply 3 of 5, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was a CR2032, turns out (managed to buy the right battery right off the bat).

However, I put the new battery in and I'm still getting "CMOS checksum error" - any idea what to do at this point?