VOGONS

First post, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm aware how nice the proper OPL3 chips sound like in Dune and KGB, and when I heard clips from the OPL4 based Moonsound on the MSX it completely blew me away... i'm told there used to be one or two OPL4 based cards on the PC as well, which never took off or were very popular so if any games supported it (let alone well) i'm sure it would be rare but I figured someone here would know if anyone does. 😀

Reply 2 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Yamaha SW20-PC that I own has an OPL4 onboard with a 2MB sample rom... and I also have a generic yamaha card with a tiny 1mb opl4 wavetable addon... they are just GM synths to my knowledge and work in any game supporting GM. The SW20-PC also has 128kb of user ram to load samples so they OPL4 can play them as well...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well Dune at least supports the MT-32, so just go with that. I don't know about KGB though...

On an AWE card you can enable Chorus and Reverb though. Sounds very nice indeed.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 7, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

[sugar rush] Hehe, no. 😁 I have to do all my posting in singular gluts normally because i'm out of town and on the road for weeks at a time. If i'm on forums everyone knows me for posting like 1-2 dozen articles the weekend that i'm home, then i'm gone for like, a month. I'm also attempting to order a few things on ebay with time limits hoping I find the information I need to either say 'yes' or 'no' to buying old rare hardware. So i'm hoping to have 2 or maybe 3 toys waiting for when I get back to put in retrogame PC's because it's my favorite hobby. I know certain old stuff doesn't show up routinely.

It sounds like Dune was the killer app for the AdLib Gold - samples http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPEDAR7qWRI&fe … lf=results_main That sounds prettier than MT32 recordings i've heard so far. KGB is simply reported as the other killer app by Ad lib gold enthusiasts although i dont think it sounds as pretty as Dune.

If anyone in the future finds/discovers an OPL4 specific game please post to this thread though. 😀

Reply 5 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OPL4 on PC soundcards is just another General Midi Synth coupled with an OPL3. PC games interface to it through FM/OPL3/Adlib, OR through General Midi/MPU-401.

The OPL4 part can have external or integrated Patch ROM. There are a few patch sets which differ from one another slightly.

I have a Midi Daughterboard with an OPL4 with 1MB integrated Patch ROM. Because it is a Midi daughterboard I cannot use it for FM music.

I have a Audiotrix Pro soundcard with OPL4 used for GM and FM. It has an external patch ROM.

There is no native PC game support required or available for OPL4.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 6 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have seen some OPL4 mentions in Miles Sound System setups gerwin... can't remember the games but there was definitely 3 or 4... never bothered with it though as I am ultra-sure it would just work like a MPU-401 midi device

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, some of the later Miles setup interfaces mentioned things like the yamaha DB50XG. Despite that, there were no fancy drivers included, it just pointed to the same General Midi / MPU-401 driver.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul