VOGONS

history of MIDI in earlier games?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Wow. Emotional... Explains a lot and makes me understand. Thanks for this post.
Interesting in that regard is that you vented your frustration towards one of the few (seemingly?) female users (at least I always regard lei as female, no idea if she really is 😉)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 21 of 27, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jaqie wrote:

I hope those that I went off on can find it in their heart to forgive me, and maybe place themselves in my shoes for long enough to see why I behaved so badly about this - it was out of fear of my own mental degradation, not hostility toward anyone.

No apology required.

I just assumed it was newbie-itis, and it would wear off naturally as you got more familiar with the flow and tone of this forum, and settled in a bit.

There's no need to stay on top of every single thread you might know something about. Don't be desperate to participate, just participate, and you'll fit in just fine.

It's good to have you aboard. Relax and enjoy the ride.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 22 of 27, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jaqie wrote:
I don't know how to get this out without seeming self centered, or an attention nut, or something.... Ive been trying to figure […]
Show full quote

I don't know how to get this out without seeming self centered, or an attention nut, or something.... Ive been trying to figure out how to do so ever since realizing it days ago, so Ive stayed silent rather than making this a worse place...

I still don't know if this is the best way to do it, but I wanted to explain and also apologize.

This is not an excuse, my behaviour hasn't been so good and that's my fault. I used to be like a steel trap for computer knowledge and information, but I got something called shy-drager and also MSA about 9 years ago, which is distantly similar to alzheimer's, but not the same. The stats say that 80% of people with this die by 10th year, and the people that have it wind up in a nursing home far before that from lack of being able to function physically and mentally. I am housebound more or less, but I take most of care of myself, with some help from a home care worker. I am and always have been fiercely independent and this kind of mental and memory degradation is infuriating me and making me go through all kinds of emotional hurt. Put simply, I don't remember things correctly anymore, get confused, and remember things outright wrong sometimes, and lately it's been more and more often it happens.

This is not an excuse for my mood here, simply the reason I was acting out so harshly. I am sorry, I should not have allowed my anger and frustration out on people who had nothing to do with it, and honestly I am terrified of this whole process. I had made a name for myself in this industry despite being female by always remembering everything perfectly, and learning and retaining so much that I could not be passed off as some woman instead of a very good and knowledgeable PC tech.

I hope those that I went off on can find it in their heart to forgive me, and maybe place themselves in my shoes for long enough to see why I behaved so badly about this - it was out of fear of my own mental degradation, not hostility toward anyone.

Getting old is not for sissies, but remember this too will pass.

A combined quote from my grandfather and the late Venerable Ajahn Chah.

Your candour is most appreciated.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 23 of 27, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
megatron-uk wrote:
AdamP wrote:
I always thought there were two main types of MIDI synthesis: FM (which is what I thought Adlib's OPL2 chip does?), and wavetabl […]
Show full quote
leileilol wrote:

But Adlib isn't MIDI.

I always thought there were two main types of MIDI synthesis: FM (which is what I thought Adlib's OPL2 chip does?), and wavetable/sample based synthesis?

I know Adlib uses .rol files, but I thought they were a special type of MIDI file, like cmf?

Or, by "MIDI", are you referring exclusively to wavetable/sample based synthesis?

And there are lots of interesting downloads here and here that may provide some insight into the early history of MIDI in PCs and PC games.

Squalstrife put it the best - but really, midi doesn't define fm/sample/wavetable/rom/synthesis method of playback, but the interface and data that is transferred between musical equipment. Think of it as TCP/IP for music.

You and SquallStrife are right. I suppose I should have known seeing as MIDI stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface. 😀

But when some people say MIDI, they are really talking about the synthesis. Perhaps it has "taken on" that meaning (like Wavetable Synthesis in PCs is actually Sample based synthesis, but it's still called Wavetable synthesis for its implementation in PCs)?

Reply 24 of 27, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I still stand by my word. I've already noted that the term MIDI was mutated as a synonym catch-all for any music without samples which probably lead to the confusion.

I'll not comment on the drama part.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 26 of 27, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jaqie wrote:

You already are commenting on it by placing part of it in as your new title. 🙄

Personally I thought it was pretty lighthearted compared to the over all tone you have been carrying with them. At any rate, best to just drop it and move on, otherwise you are still going to come off as the aggressor on this for as long as you keep trying to take jabs at them. Eventually that will wear thin with people here. Anyway, also, a friend wanted me to ask, did you by chance frequent the pcenginefx forums under the name Missafx?

Reply 27 of 27, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You already are commenting on it by placing part of it in as your new title.

None of your comments were helpful for the original poster.

And

That is worlds away from not being a midi type of sound device, which is also called FM synthesis.

is still plain wrong. The midi spec is quite general but it has nothing to do with sound synthesis nor does adlib or opl follow its specs.