VOGONS

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does anyone use their vintage hardware to play DOS multiplayer games through the internet? The internet's heyday started just as DOS's was waning, so I do not know of any games that support it directly.

Multiplayer gaming before the Internet came in two varieties, first that based on serial communications, i.e. null-modem cable connections and dial up modem connections, second that using network interface cards, i.e. IPX networks with or without NetBIOS. All but the dial-up modem required the close physical proximity by two computers connected together or in a Local Area Network. Direct serial connections allowed for a maximum of two players, and setting up a LAN in the DOS days was not for the faint of heart.

Back in the day there were IPX emulators like Kali and Kahn that allowed multiplayer gaming over TCP/IP, which formed the backbone of the internet. Does anyone still dial up a friend for some DOOM? Anyone use Kali these days, like to play Mechwarrior 2? I am interested in people who are using real DOS games, machines and OSes to run their games. Source ports like zDOOM, machines running DOSBox and using Windows 9x programs like Quakeworld are not applicable.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2 of 3, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't, but I would like to at some point. 😀 I want to set up an IPX LAN to go with a collection of other proprietary networking/modeming type early consoles and such for a multiroom "gaming house" setup at some future point. (Saturn NetLinks, Jaguar ComLynx and similar)

Reply 3 of 3, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Great Hierophant wrote:

Does anyone use their vintage hardware to play DOS multiplayer games through the internet?

I do. Just look to my signature.
My thread on DW forum. No effect.