VOGONS

First post, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is anyone aware of (rumors fine too, just seeking leads) games which used FM sound, OPL chips and similar for sound effects (regardless of if it's used for music) instead of digital audio?

Early 90's seem to be often one general MIDI or OPL music device, and one digital audio playback device for samples. I'm curious if there are games NOT following this trend. 😀

Reply 1 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cyber Sphere is complete OPL3 magic.

A lot of games used OPL2 for sound effects, you'll just have to look in the 89-91 range for most of them, though there's a bunch after that period as well (Betrayal at Krondor, Rise of the Triad)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 14, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos uses midi (whether it's wavetable or FM) for some of its sound effects.

Dungeon Keeper uses soundfonts for its ambient sound effects. However, these will only work on an AWE32/64.

Reply 4 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Early 90s games are simply way to modern 😀

Go back into the 80s and you find games that support the PC speaker and Adlib and that's it.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Early 90s games are simply way to modern 😀

Go back into the 80s and you find games that support the PC speaker and Adlib and that's it.

Sierra games also support sound effects through Adlib if you don't have a Sound Blaster or compatible device.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 14, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does count "meows" in Knights of Xentar? The game had sound blaster sound effects, but when music played in "cat village", it included some "meows" produced by OPL.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 7 of 14, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most games support Adlib/FM for sound effects. If you look at it in this perspective, all games that do NOT mention that it supports "Sound Blaster Only" or "Sound Blaster Required" will have an option to choose the Adlib for sound effects.

Some common exaples :

1. Wing Commander I

2. Prince of Persia

3. Gods

4. Prehistorik

5. Zeliard

and many more...

Unless of course if you're asking about those games that ONLY use FM sounds for sound effects - which means all pre-Sound Blaster cards and those that don't use the MT-32's custom sound effects patches.

Also, many games, in spite of providing "Sound Blaster" as a choice to choose the sound effects, they still use the FM sounds for the effects. Most developers did this to make it easier for end-users at home, who may not know that the Sound Blaster has Ad-Lib compatibility, and for those to choose "what they had" installed in their systems.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 8 of 14, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay I guess what i'm specifically looking for were games that used Adlib sound effects after the soundblaster (8bit DAC playback) was available... whether for reasons of FM artistry or they just thought the sound was better generated instead of digitized. 😀 It would follow that only FM sounds were possible for the soundblaster 1.0 so i'm curious who didn't make the immediate jump to "wow, digitzed! that's always better!" because I like the creativity of sound design in the FM effects ie like i've heard in many Sega Genesis games...

Reply 9 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well any game that gives you a choice of Adlib and Sound Blaster (and select Adlib) as the main sound device should fit that criteria.

E.g. Monkey Island 2 or Wing Commander 1 + 2 are such games.

Reply 10 of 14, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe Commander Keen 4-6 would be a good example of this, both effects and music sounds like FM to me, and I've even played a bit of them with an Adlib card and haven't noticed any missing sounds.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 11 of 14, by emote

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wolfenstein 3D is mostly adlib sounds. Like the amusing "phwoooooong-bliddely" which plays when collecting treasure.

Adding a soundblaster brings a couple of extra sounds like a loud grating noise when the doors open.

Reply 12 of 14, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
emote wrote:

Adding a soundblaster brings a couple of extra sounds like a loud grating noise when the doors open.

Not to mention all of the hilarious sounds the guards make. AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! 🤣

They did a much better job of actually giving them legible speech in the Apple IIGS version.