VOGONS

First post, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Matrox Millennium II PCI card which isn’t working with all my old low res dos games. So I want to change it for something more compatible. I was reading on here an S3 Trio64V+ would be a good one to use. The Problem is very few on ebay list how much memory they have and I want to get a 2MB one.

Most of the sellers on ebay are recycling company’s who don’t know information about what there selling. Does anyone know a way to tell how much memory is on one without buying and testing it myself?

Reply 5 of 9, by jaqie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

back when that stuff was new, I only ever wanted more than 1MB when I started using win95 and wanted a higher resolution and color depth than 1MB could give me...

Reply 7 of 9, by LowSpec486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a VESA Local Bus "S3 Trio32" with 1MB of video RAM in my 486 machine, and although with it Windows 95 can only do 800x600 in 16bit color and 1024x768 in 8bit color (256 colors), it is a great card for pre-1996 games in real DOS mode.

When doing retro, you have have to go for the real bottom! 😁

Reply 9 of 9, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Trio64V+ is basically an exellent choice for old dos games. But you can also go for a ViRGE, it features exactly the same 2D-core.

Where are you from? I would give you a 2MB card for free (just for the shipping costs).

Please take a look at my website AmoRetro.de (link in signature) , you can find plenty of information regarding these good old cards (use search function or left menu or the tag-cloud on the right).

Cheers,
Fabian

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.