VOGONS

First post, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys 😀 I'm new to this forum. Please don't mind my grammar and spelling, I'm from Russia 😀

I have recently purchased a AZZA 5T-5IT motherboard (http://museum.ttrk.ee/th99/m/A-B/35350.htm). Here's the config I have managed to complete by this time:

• AZZA 5T-5IT (430TX)
    P 166 MMX (I originally intended to use a 200 MMX, but it must be fried)
    2x 128 Mb PC-133
    Sigma REALmagic (A cheap S3 Trio64V+-based video card)
    Orchid SoundWave32 2Mb (Now this baby looks solid)
    Quantum Fireball CX 6.2 Gb
    a common CD-RW drive

All this stuff fits well in an old 286 horizontal case with a 200Wt PSU, which I hope will be enough.

I'm planning to use Win98SE, hope it won't lag.

I haven't got much experience with early pentiums (while I do enjoy my Am386SX-40 system)... Could you please tell me,

1) What are cool 2D games for this system? I simply don't dig old 3D games, old 2D games seem more natural.
2) Does graphics card matter much in 2D? What other graphic card would you recommend?
3) Am I the only one to whom the brand "AZZA" does not ring a bell? The mobo looks solid, I'm just being curious.

Thank you in advance.

Reply 1 of 4, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would look for games that use it's special trick - MMX.

POD
Bladerunner
Rebel Moon Rising
etc

A web search should get a nice list of 1996-7 games that supported it.

Some like Unreal are too much for a P166 though.

Reply 3 of 4, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Half Life 1 can play on that, so can Thief 1 at barely below maximum settings (200mmx minimum but i played it on a 166 myself software rendering). But thats not what you asked. 😀

Win98 wont lag, it was made for low pentium 1's like around P75 or so.

There actually are NOT alot of great 2d games much beyond the 386/vga level that i'm aware of... all the early graphic adventures for instance (Kings quest, Ultima type stuff), the 486 era everyone started to move towards software rendered 3d alot of the time. Colorful 2d RPG's of any era, strategy games like Dune or Command and Conquer are around mid 90's and will run fine, and that's what i'd probably be playing on such a system.