VOGONS

First post, by lordbritish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

Noob to the forums but I love nostalgic gaming and hardware.

I started with an Amstrad Mega PC which was a 386 SX20 and my mum paid a small fortune at the time.

I love the 486 era. Fell in love with Ultima 7 Serpent Isle and it all started from there.

Recently picked up these bits and pieces for next to nothing.

Nothing overly special but Im happy with them. All working.

Not sure what to do with the Pentium 2 400 running a business copy of windows 2000 pro.

Really happy I picked up the 486. The IO card has ram on it also which is a cool find.

The compaq desktop has a cool little flip out mechanism so the drive bays come out and you can work on them easily. But theres very little room for multiple hard drives.

dscn2332.jpg
dscn2347.jpg
dscn2341.jpg
dscn2364.jpg
dscn2363.jpg

Attachments

• Filename
    DSCN2332.JPG
    File size
    224.34 KiB
    Downloads
    196 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    DSCN2347.JPG
    File size
    278.06 KiB
    Downloads
    191 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    DSCN2341.JPG
    File size
    257.27 KiB
    Downloads
    189 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    DSCN2363.JPG
    File size
    282.84 KiB
    Downloads
    189 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    DSCN2364.JPG
    File size
    261.15 KiB
    Downloads
    196 downloads
    File license
Last edited by lordbritish on 2012-03-28, 08:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 5, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a nice find. These cache controllers were very expensive back in the days. You can even do mirroring if you like. And you will crush the 504MB boundary as the cache controller has its own BIOS.

@shspvr

tekram_dc-680c_vesa_local_ide_cache_controller-600x294.jpg

It's a Tekram DC680C E-IDE cache controller with 286-20MHz CPU (bottom left) for the cache strategy. A very nice Vesa Local card.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 3 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

a cache controller with a 286 on it? heh that's strange, the most usual thing to find is a cpu/controller that has a way different architecture than the target system....

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 5, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Which model of Compaq Deskpro is that? The case looks just like mine (which was originally also a Pentium II 400) except the button and lights are in the middle instead of at the side. I've seen a few Compaq Deskpros that are slightly older than mine like yours as well. It looks a bit different on the inside. Though I once had a Compaq Deskpro that used a riser card, but it died.

Reply 5 of 5, by lordbritish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I believe its a Compaq Desktop EN series 6400.

I flashed the bios and gfx card so i hope thats what it is 😀

Working great