VOGONS

First post, by aacheron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I'm testing a Chaintech 5AGM2 (AT/ATX, AGP+PCI+ISA MVP3 Via chipset, very close Shuttle HOT-591P' design) with a P166MMX (SL27H). First, I put a P166 (3.3V) without MMX and worked fine, then I found a SL27H (2.8V), reconfigured jumpers but nothing is shown on screen and no beep (I tried 2 different PCI graphics cards and one AGP, different SDRAM).

Mobo info:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/140

With P166 (SY016) mobo boots OK. SL27H works fine on Soyo 5Y-5VA mobo (so, CPU is working).

Jumpers for P166MMX are set as this :
Multiplier 2.5x
JP5 1&2 Closed
JP6,JP7,JP8, JP9 2&3 Close
JP10 1&2 Close

JP4 7&8 Close (2.8V)

Any chance? Thanks

Attachments

• Filename
    chaintech2.jpg
    File size
    241.52 KiB
    Downloads
    116 downloads
    File comment
    JP5 to JP10 Setup
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    sl27h_1.jpg
    File size
    217.77 KiB
    Downloads
    114 downloads
    File comment
    JP4 Jumpers and CPU Detail
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

*** building better worlds ***

Reply 1 of 7, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there should be a jumpersetting for dual voltage operation. try setting it from p54c to p55 and the mmx-cpu should work.

good luck!

//edit: i just took a look at the board - i doesn't seem to have this jumper..

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 2 of 7, by aacheron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can not believe 😅 I incorrectly configured jumpers for bus speed and processor speed 😦 😦 , the correct setting is just the reverse of what I had jumped. I thought the PIN 1 of this strip jumpers started at the bottom (which is where silkscreened "JP5 JP6 ...") but it was at the top.
Would have to spend more time to test the settings. But I have to do the assembly at work ... I can not spend much time. 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄

Reply 4 of 7, by aacheron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shspvr wrote:

Don't you just love old stuff aacheron

Yes! but It's more like a love-hate relationship, love when works, hate when works too 😁 but I like old stuf... 486, pentium ... It reminds me my early days in computing.

Reply 5 of 7, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hehe, i did the same years ago on a pc-chips m577 mobo.. i jumpered just the complete opposite of the correct settings. well that may happen when you are concentrating at more than one thing at a time..

great that it works now.. do you want to put a voodoo card in it? sounds like a solid retro machine for late dos / early voodoo games, but you may consider upgrading the cpu to maybe 266 or 300 mhz to play the most demanding dos games in svga.

cheers,
Fabian

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 6 of 7, by aacheron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FGB wrote:
hehe, i did the same years ago on a pc-chips m577 mobo.. i jumpered just the complete opposite of the correct settings. well tha […]
Show full quote

hehe, i did the same years ago on a pc-chips m577 mobo.. i jumpered just the complete opposite of the correct settings. well that may happen when you are concentrating at more than one thing at a time..

great that it works now.. do you want to put a voodoo card in it? sounds like a solid retro machine for late dos / early voodoo games, but you may consider upgrading the cpu to maybe 266 or 300 mhz to play the most demanding dos games in svga.

cheers,
Fabian

A Voodoo3 3000 AGP and K6-2@400, in the near future... But now I want to test a triple core S3 Vision864 (1 chip to manage every basic color - RGB ) PCI under Win95osr2.

Reply 7 of 7, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That would be a very capable couple. the 5agm2 supports the k6plus-series of cpu's, so you could use a k6-2+ or 3+. the main advantage is the per-boot changeable multiplier if you require low speeds for old games. that can be very effective in addition of different possible cache settings. you can easily go as slow as a 386! and as fast as a k6-3 cpu gets (great for voodoo3).