VOGONS

First post, by Wedgie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all. I suppose I should apologize for asking for help on my first post...sorry.

Previously my old games box had hardware I was used to and was easy to configure. I managed to get a Terratec EWS64XL with 32MB of RAM added on to replace an AWE64. I used the last available driver from the Terratec FTP.

The card works mostly great with the Roland and Yamaha patch banks. There are a few glitches with wrong timing on notes but nothing serious.

When I try to load the GS 10MB bank, GM9MB bank of GM6MB bank the card pukes hard. Instead of playing drums it plays random waveforms such as a portion of the piano sample or the back half of a brass sample and then something else. As far as I can tell instrument patches work OK. Has anyone else had this problem with this card?

Should I use an older version of the card OS or replace the RAM?

-edit-

Nope, instruments are broken too.

PIII 450, 256MB, 3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 AGP, Terratec EWS64XL ISA Sound, No Network Subsystem

Reply 2 of 4, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it would be very useful to know what program produces the wrong notes. is it under a dos game, windows media player, a sequencer software? there a many possibilities to cause a card to play wrong notes.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 3 of 4, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had this when I had a certain ISA misconfiguration on my system. Thought the card was dead. Tried it again however after changing settings (sorry for being so vague, I can't remember) and it works fine. 😀

Reply 4 of 4, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I suppose you mean the EEPROM tool for the EWS64L/XL? Well, it took me a little while and a few tries to set it up properly, so he might give that a go.

Waveblaster MIDI boards: https://waveblaster.nl - online now!