VOGONS

First post, by Kabull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,
I've recently fixed my old socket 3 mobo (Soyo SY-4SAW) after BIOS failed but since I've reinstalled Windows 98 SE I can't get the the LAN card working for more that five minutes. I've tried downgrading the BIOS to the earliest version (same as the one that failed), done scanreg, tried cards in different slots, installed latest / earliest drivers, tried several NIC cards (the only one that seems to get IP address assigned now is 3com but before BIOS failed i had Netgear NIC installed and it was working fine). Anyway I can ping my router or any other PC (even the outside world with a bit of luck) and get response as long as I don't start any web browser (Opera or IE), after that ping comes up with hardware error (I know that the card is working as I've tested it in my other PC)

So far I've spent three days trying to sort this out but at the moment I have no idea what to do next so Please Help Me...

AMD 5x86 133 @ 150MHz , 64MB RAM, 1TB HDD, HighPoint 1640

Reply 1 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe it's just a Windows problem?

Ordinarily I would suggest testing with a Linux distribution, but I'm not sure which one you would use on such old hardware.

Reply 2 of 3, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a SY-4SAW2 , I use a common Realtek 8136d card and it works fine as long as you don't put in in the last pci slot near the isa slots (it's a slave slot). I haven't used 98 though, only networking with DOS and win3.11 ... Maybe you need to install some SIS drivers for 98?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 3, by Kabull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

LAN card is installed in a 1st slot - I've left 4th slot empty. Tried installing SIS drivers and few patches from MS but still no luck.

I'm affraid that none of the older Linux editions I've got would not boot...

Anyway I've swapped the board for FIC PIO-3 without reinstalling Windows and LAN works fine

AMD 5x86 133 @ 150MHz , 64MB RAM, 1TB HDD, HighPoint 1640