VOGONS

Asus P3V4X and MX300 issue [Solved]

Topic actions

First post, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I've just built a Win9x retro box to fit my DOS and Win9x gaming needs. This system consists of a P3 700 (soon to be a 1ghz), 256mb PC100 (soon to be 512mb PC133), GF3 Ti 500, SLI Voodoo2 12mb, 10/100/1000 NIC, Asus P3V4X with latest Bios, 80gb HD and a MX300 (soon with a DB50XG DC) all with a complete fresh install of Win98SE.

This is where I have a issue. I installed Windows 98SE without any problems, then applied the Via 4in1 drivers version 4.17 (the best for this board for performance), the Unofficial Win98 SP 2.xxA, installed the Nvidia drivers, then the Voodoo2 FastVoodoo drivers, my NIC drivers then the Aureal reference drivers for the sound card.

Now, the sound card is detected fine upon driver installation and works great, but when I reboot, the sound card goes missing! It seems like the bios is not finding the card. If I remove the card from the PCI slot, it will be found when the computer is turned back on. I've tried different PCI slots, turning bios to default, bios set to PNP OS and not PNP OS.

Any suggestions? I've looked around online and can't seem to find anything relating to this issue. Things I have not tried are: flashing the bios back to a older version, another MX300 card (I do have a extra card), uninstalling the SP pack, formatting and starting from scratch. Everything else works great, I was even playing Blood (DOS) and Unreal. The mobo is brand new (from old stock I found at the company I work for), so I doubt its that.

Last edited by Hudson187 on 2012-04-15, 22:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 27, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks -- I will give that a shot.

I can't try the MX300 in another system as I do not have another Win98 system built. I suppose I could put one together and try it, but would rather try other options.

I should also not that there is nothing under Device Manger for the Aureal hardware after a reboot, however the drivers are installed and the Aureal program says "No Audio Driver Found".

http://www.hudson187.com

Reply 3 of 27, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm actually wondering if the P3V4X has enough IRQ's -- I have a AGP card, two Voodoo 2's in SLI, a NIC and the MX300 -- 5 total cards. I know most systems shouldn't have an issue, however I've read that this board was the first wave of Via chipsets for Intel based processors and they were a bit "flaky".

Reply 4 of 27, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most BIOSes show a status screen with detected PCI hardware right after the POST screen - does the MX300 show up there?

If you suspect the mainboard running out of free IRQs, try to disable devices like unused serial/parallel ports, thus releasing their IRQs.

Reply 5 of 27, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I will also try disabling the serial ports to see if that helps.

Honestly, I can't see any PCI hardware posts because the damn thing goes to fast -- is there any way to stop the bios boot screen to see the specs?

Reply 7 of 27, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Voodoo2 cards don't need an IRQ. Use them on PCI slots that share IRQ with other slots or devices. Usually a good choice are PCI slots sharing IRQ with onboard USB controller. For an Asus P3V4X motherboard, this leads to PCI slots #4 and #5. Yeah, this is a RTFM scenario!

EDIT: I'll add more detailed info and my very personal recommendation for your system.

INT-A: AGP slot (GF3) and PCI slot #1 (empty)
INT-B: PCI slot #2 (NIC)
INT-C: PCI slot #3 (MX300) and #6 (empty)
INT-D: PCI slot #4 (Voodoo2), #5 (Voodoo2) and USB.

Last edited by batracio on 2012-04-03, 17:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

- or press the "pause" key when you suspect the devices screen comes up... it works for me 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 27, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hudson187 wrote:

Via chipsets ... a bit "flaky".

Not true. Arm your pitchforks.. time to burn a heretic! 😁

Last edited by swaaye on 2012-04-03, 17:16. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 10 of 27, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
batracio wrote:
Voodoo2 cards don't need an IRQ. Use them on PCI slots that share IRQ with other slots or devices. Usually a good choice are PCI […]
Show full quote

Voodoo2 cards don't need an IRQ. Use them on PCI slots that share IRQ with other slots or devices. Usually a good choice are PCI slots sharing IRQ with onboard USB controller. For an Asus P3V4X motherboard, this leads to PCI slots #4 and #5. Yeah, this is a RTFM scenario!

EDIT: I'll add more detailed info and my very personal recommendation for your system.

INT-A: AGP slot (GF3) and PCI slot #1 (empty)
INT-B: PCI slot #2 (NIC)
INT-C: PCI slot #3 (MX300) and #6 (empty)
INT-D: PCI slot #4 (Voodoo2), #5 (Voodoo2) and USB.

Excellent -- I'll have to give this a shot. PCI 5 & 6 have had either the MX300 and/or the NIC. I think I may have tried the V2's in 3 & 4 with the NIC on 6.

I will give this a shot later tonight/tomorrow and report back.

Reply 11 of 27, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:
Hudson187 wrote:

Via chipsets ... a bit "flaky".

Not true. Arm your pitchforks.. time to burn a heretic! 😁

🤣! 😁

Personally, I've never had any issues with Via chipsets and have built numerous AMD based systems. My next build is actually going to be a WinXP box based on the Athlon XP series! 😉

Reply 12 of 27, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah you will often need to juggle cards around to figure out where they are happy. Slots share resources with each other and other board components and some cards/chips don't get along. Even Intel chipsets have this problem.

However, if you get a lot of pops/clicks/static out of the sound card, you will need to get the VIA PCI Latency Patch. Some VIA boards have poorly written BIOSs that configure the chipset wrong.

Last edited by swaaye on 2012-04-03, 17:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 27, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Yeah you will often need to juggle cards around to figure out where they are happy. The PCI slots share resources with each other and with some types of onboard components. Some cards/chips do not get along.

What is odd though is that the card is completely missing from the device manager upon reboot; I always remembered that it would still show up, but it would say its disabled with a IRQ conflict. Would a IRQ issue make the card (and its associated hardware) just not show up?

Reply 14 of 27, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hudson187 wrote:

Would a IRQ issue make the card (and its associated hardware) just not show up?

Yup it does happen. This is where as mentioned you can watch the power on test screen for the PNP card listing. If there's no "multimedia device" (the sound card usually) the card is not working properly most likely because of a device conflict. Moving it to a different PCI slot will resolve this.

My Abit BF6 (440BX) is extremely picky about this sort of thing. I have a MX300 myself and it is trouble on this board if in the wrong slot. NICs, IDE cards and other sound cards are also problematic like this.

Last edited by swaaye on 2012-04-03, 17:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 27, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried the PCI config setup and that still did not work. I am going to try and re-flash the bios to a version behind and see if that fixes it.

Reply 17 of 27, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Flashed bios to older rev and still nothing in bios boot (hitting pause to stop the boot screen). Card might be defective... going to try another MX300.

Reply 18 of 27, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK -- so I just tried another MX300 card and the bios did not find that one. I don't think the board likes the sound card! Any other suggestions? I think I'm going to try and disable USB, then if that doesn't work try to remove the NIC and V2's to see if that helps.