VOGONS

First post, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Edit: If finally works now, the new MIDI to USB cable I got along with the new power cord makes it work beautifully. Thanks for the help everyone, it really helped me out.

Hi I am relatively new here on Vogons and recently I acquired a Roland MT-32 to use with my Windows 7 laptop to use with DOSBox. Unfortunately I am having some serious issues with my unit. One issue is that the unit produces a bad buzzing noise while it is on. The other issue is that music from games are not playing back correctly. I tried it with Silpheed and it plays completely incorrect yet The Secret of Monkey Island plays just fine. If anyone can help, reply soon.

Last edited by SpooferJahk on 2012-04-22, 19:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SpooferJahk wrote:

One issue is that the unit produces a bad buzzing noise while it is on.

Are you sure it's not your cables? Do you still get a buzzing sound if you plug headphones into the unit directly?

[quoteThe other issue is that music from games are not playing back correctly. I tried it with Silpheed and it plays completely incorrect yet The Secret of Monkey Island plays just fine.[/quote]As this might be a DOSBox problem, this should be in the DOSBox forum. Have you changed your DOSBox.conf appropriately? See http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Using_Yamaha_MIDI_synthesizers , for example.

Reply 2 of 15, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I fixed the buzzing noise problem just now, the jacks needed serious cleaning apparently. I will try the Yamaha driver and see if that does anything and sorry for posting here, newbie forgot to read rules and what not. 🙁

Edit: The buzzing came back sadly, ugh seems like the MT-32 I got just has a serious hardware problem possibly.

Reply 3 of 15, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How are you plugging in the MT-32? I didn't think any Windows 7 laptop would have a MIDI port. If you're using USB, that may be part of the problem (thought I'm just clutching at straws here).

Reply 4 of 15, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AdamP wrote:

How are you plugging in the MT-32? I didn't think any Windows 7 laptop would have a MIDI port. If you're using USB, that may be part of the problem (thought I'm just clutching at straws here).

That may be the issue from what I am reading, seems like it is using General MIDI settings instead from what I see. Sounds like I need a Yamaha cord instead of the one I am using.

Reply 5 of 15, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the buzzing noise :

Are you using the original Roland power adapter or a generic one? If using generic power adapter, make sure to match the specifications of the Roland's. Also, try changing to a different adapter.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 6 of 15, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malik wrote:

For the buzzing noise :

Are you using the original Roland power adapter or a generic one? If using generic power adapter, make sure to match the specifications of the Roland's. Also, try changing to a different adapter.

Yeah I found out earlier that the buzzing noise was caused by a power adapter that did not meet the specifications. Read that 650 mA or higher will do the trick so I will have to order another adapter soon.

Reply 7 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mega Drive power supplies are compatible. I bought Mega Drive replacement power supplies and use them for all of my Roland gear 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 15, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Mega Drive power supplies are compatible. I bought Mega Drive replacement power supplies and use them for all of my Roland gear 😀

Hey you are that guy on YouTube who uploads random MT-32 music! 😜 Quick question since you are here, do you use a MIDI to USB cord for your MT-32 to use on a new machine and if you do, what kind is it because when I tried it earlier as I said, none of my games sound right save for The Secret of Monkey Island. I know for sure the one I use is a generic one I got off of Amazon a while back for my Sound Canvas and I am hearing that a Yamaha one will work for the job.

Reply 9 of 15, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You didn't answer Jorpho's question:

The other issue is that music from games are not playing back correctly. I tried it with Silpheed and it plays completely incorrect yet The Secret of Monkey Island plays just fine.

As this might be a DOSBox problem, this should be in the DOSBox forum. Have you changed your DOSBox.conf appropriately?

FWIW, I'm using a USB midi interface UM-1G from cakewalk, works fine on both windows (32 and 64 bit) and Mac.

Reply 10 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi!

I do have a USB MIDI interface but also a real vintage PC with everything that's needed. My very first recordings used DOSBox and the USB MIDI interface, but since everyone is doing that and there is a real lack of authentic recordings from real vintage machines I started recording the VGA output instead.

The USB MIDI interface I purchased was the cheapest on ebay. It looks like this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-Midi-Cable-Lea … =item25687f7c25

And it "just works". Drivers get installed automatically by Windows (32 and 64 bit).

Reply 11 of 15, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rcblanke wrote:

You didn't answer Jorpho's question:

The other issue is that music from games are not playing back correctly. I tried it with Silpheed and it plays completely incorrect yet The Secret of Monkey Island plays just fine.

As this might be a DOSBox problem, this should be in the DOSBox forum. Have you changed your DOSBox.conf appropriately?

FWIW, I'm using a USB midi interface UM-1G from cakewalk, works fine on both windows (32 and 64 bit) and Mac.

To answer Jorbo's question, yes I did change the configuration to appropriate settings and even tried a few different settings for good measure. rcblanke that is a cord I may look into possibly along with the Yamaha one I found on Amazon.

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Hi! […]
Show full quote

Hi!

I do have a USB MIDI interface but also a real vintage PC with everything that's needed. My very first recordings used DOSBox and the USB MIDI interface, but since everyone is doing that and there is a real lack of authentic recordings from real vintage machines I started recording the VGA output instead.

The USB MIDI interface I purchased was the cheapest on ebay. It looks like this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-Midi-Cable-Lea … =item25687f7c25

And it "just works". Drivers get installed automatically by Windows (32 and 64 bit).

That's the same one I have and it fails to play the MT-32 music of anything but The Secret of Monkey Island properly.

Reply 12 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Strange...

Does your MT-32 flash (The MIDI transmit LED) when you play games such as Wing Commander or Space Quest 5?

I take it DOSBox is configured to MPU401 intelligent mode (it is by default so unless you changed it then it should be fine).

Any driver options maybe?

My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 15, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Strange... […]
Show full quote

Strange...

Does your MT-32 flash (The MIDI transmit LED) when you play games such as Wing Commander or Space Quest 5?

I take it DOSBox is configured to MPU401 intelligent mode (it is by default so unless you changed it then it should be fine).

Any driver options maybe?

I was reading in another thread here and one user had the same cord and I seem to have the same problem, it sounds wrong and I get two MIDI drivers when I use a MIDI mapper. While I do not have those games, the light flashed when playing the MIDI of the games I tested.

Reply 14 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry let me expand on my question.

Does the MIDI light flash BEFORE the game starts. This is important as this is when the MT-32 gets programmed with custom sounds.

Anything from Sierra, Dynamix or Origin should do the trick. There is also the free version of Lure of Temptress which uses the MT-32 extensively.

My YouTube channel

Reply 15 of 15, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Sorry let me expand on my question.

Does the MIDI light flash BEFORE the game starts. This is important as this is when the MT-32 gets programmed with custom sounds.

Anything from Sierra, Dynamix or Origin should do the trick. There is also the free version of Lure of Temptress which uses the MT-32 extensively.

I tried it on my installation of Silpheed and it flashed after the copy protection screen.