VOGONS

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was digging through my box of motherboards the other day and came across this thing; it's ISA so I assume pre-vesa local bus era (can't see any dates on it), but then it has on-board IDE. Is that strange or is it just me? And what's that slot next to the ram slots? It has Maxconn Mec-62 written on it, but google doesn't tell me much.

Made in the U.S and it's quite a long board. Looks like someone nicked the cache.

Anyone come across one like this?

Untitled.jpg

Reply 1 of 5, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some of those chips look to have an early 1992 build date on them, but the design seems like a somewhat early era 486 board. There's a lot of discrete logic chips too which are usually absent from later boards due to higher levels of integration. Plus the 30 pin SIMM slots rather than 72 pin usually found on 486 boards.

That empty processor socket looks like a 386 would fit so I'd guess hat you have one of those hybrid 386/486 boards. The strange slot near the SIMM slots is possibly for a proprietary CPU upgrade card, I've seen 386 boards with slots like that for a 486 upgrade card but obviously since this board already has a 486 socket I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of that slot is.

The onboard IDE/FDC/parallel/serial is a little strange for a board of that era, as they are usually only seen on later boards with PCI.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 2 of 5, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yea, thats a 386/486 board. VERY uncommon to have onboard ide/parallel/serial. That wasnt common until pentium. I'm willing to bet, if you pull the 486 out, it will accept a 387 math-co.

That said, the special slot is for a special memory add-on card. basically you can have 32mb on the motherboard, the add-on card will let you goto 64mb.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 5, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe it might just be an early 486 board, and not a "hybrid" 386/486 one. Usually the very few 386/486 boards I've seen are later models, which have at least one VL-BUS slot, and can take up to 128MB RAM on their own (using simms and not requiring an add-on card). On the other hand, I've seen quite a lot of early 486 boards having an fpu socket not for an Intel 487, but for a weitec 4167 fpu, which is smaller and resembles that used for a 386 cpu(like the one on the photo). But the 386 socket has 132 pins as opposed to that one that has a few more.

edit: Bingo! I found it.
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/C/CA … -Model-319.html
Seems that yours lacks the game port connector, but still it has a bus mouse port.

Reply 4 of 5, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Markk wrote:

edit: Bingo! I found it.
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/C/CA … -Model-319.html
Seems that yours lacks the game port connector, but still it has a bus mouse port.

Nice find! Strange board; I quite like it but can't imagine finding a use for it without a VLB slot for a VGA card.