VOGONS

First post, by rendo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I've got an old IBM model M clicky keboard, it has an Ps2 plug. I want to connect it to my 486dx4 computer. The computer has an biostar 8433 motherboard with a DIN connection on it. The problem is the computer doesn't recognize the keyboard when i connect it with an ps2 to din adapter.
I tried to connect is to my other computer wich has an ps2 connection and it works fine. Does anybody know why it doesnt works on 486?

Reply 1 of 8, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it might be the wrong adapter, is the only thing I can think of. That or the adapter has something wrong with it. Most people dont realize there are TWO different connectors that use the big smiling lug. The original IBM XT used it and it was incompatible with later keyboards. At least thats how I remember it. Test another ps/2 keyboard with that adapter and the 486. if it still doesnt work, the adapter is the issue.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 8, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

it might be the wrong adapter, is the only thing I can think of. That or the adapter has something wrong with it. Most people dont realize there are TWO different connectors that use the big smiling lug. The original IBM XT used it and it was incompatible with later keyboards. At least thats how I remember it. Test another ps/2 keyboard with that adapter and the 486. if it still doesnt work, the adapter is the issue.

This is incorrect, the XT and AT keyboard have an identical pinout. The signals sent on those pins are not. It is possible that your adapter is broken, but I think it may be more possible that the DIN is broken. Try with a real cheapo keyboard with a true DIN.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 5 of 8, by rendo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I took my multimeter and checked the wiring of the adapter. There were only 2 pins of the DIN plug connected on the right way. Strange story but true. So I decided to buy another adapter with 20cm cable between the Ps2 and the Din plug so if the connection is not right I can change it. (By cutting the cable in two pieces and connect them on the right way. Thanks for your advice

Reply 7 of 8, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a keyboard like that, noisy as heck. I think it came off my parents' old IBM PS/2 system- I spilled Pepto Bismol once on it as as a kid. It still works, nearly 26 years later. I use it for a reliable boot time keyboard in the bios when USB goes all wonky on me.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ