VOGONS

PCI sound card in Futro s220

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello to everyone, first sorry my english, im spanish

I bought a very nice Thin Client, Futro S220,

Crusoe TM5800 800 MHz
SIS 315E
1 PCI slot
Chipsets i see in motherboard

VIA VT1211
VT6103L (ethernet)
VT1612A (integrated audio?) (integrated audio work with VT8233 drivers)

My problems come with when i want to use a PCI sound card, I tried this sound cards, and same problem for all, the card is detected perfect, in DOS and Windows, but no SOUND

SB live!
SB PCI 128
CMI8738

For example, with the SBlive! the DOS drivers detect card, and assign IRQ for card, and SB emulation. Games detect sound card, but no sound output

If i use for example dos mp3 player, Mpxplay, detect perfect the SB live, start playing MP3, and all seems normal, but no sound

Same with CMI8738, and SB128

Of course, the sound cards work perfect in other computers

Same in Windows, card are detected perfect, the drivers work OK, winamp for example, play a mp3 like everything normal, but no sound

I dont know what to do, i tried all, but is the first time to me to have a working sound card, but the sound output not working

Thanks

Reply 1 of 8, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If integrated audio is working for you why do you need a pci card ?

ps: you dont have anything connected to the onboard audio ?
it has audio out and headphone out usually if you plaug anything into headphone out it cuts sound to the speakers (could be cutting sound to the pci card as well)

anything in the bios to disable onboard sound

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 8, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for reply

I need a PCI sound card, because the onboard have no DOS drivers

And in win98, the onboard, have no FM music

Nothing in bios to disable onboard sound, and i tried all experiments about plug-unplug stuff in the onboard sound.... 😅

I take some pictures to show my problem

1.jpg

The SB live is detected OK. Sorry i forget to take a picture of SB emulation, in 220 i5 d1

2.jpg

The sound card is detected OK in wolfenstein

3.jpg

... or in autodetection in Street Fighter 2 setup

4.jpg

Now... i unplug all PCI card, and run the CMI8738 PCI driver... normal, no PCI card

5.jpg

Now i plug the CMI8738 sound card in PCI slot, and run again. The card is detected in Wolfenstein, doom..etc all games, perfect

6.jpg

No sound output in the sound cards.

The sound card works OK in other machines, and yes, i have great speakers... 😀

Is a problem that i really dont have any idea how to solve.....

Reply 3 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Firstly this looks line a very interesting project. What performance do you get with such a CPU under DOS?

Other boards working isn't a good sign and it shows that you know how to set it up.

Does this board run Windows without any issues?

Usually speech is an issue with PCI cards, but FM not so much.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 8, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Firstly this looks line a very interesting project. What performance do you get with such a CPU under DOS? […]
Show full quote

Firstly this looks line a very interesting project. What performance do you get with such a CPU under DOS?

Other boards working isn't a good sign and it shows that you know how to set it up.

Does this board run Windows without any issues?

Usually speech is an issue with PCI cards, but FM not so much.

Hi, in fact is a really nice PC

The performance is similar to a Pentium 3 400mhz, but.. better?

I have a real pentium 3 450 PC, and some games like Lotus 3, not work with a overflow error, but in the Crusoe works like a charm

For really old games, that works very fast, this thin client works very well for the Throttle software, because the VIA chipset

Games like Zaxxon CGA, works perfect in the Futro

The only problem is the PCI. I have two futro s220, and in both thin clients, all PCI sound card i test have no sound output

The internal sound card have no FM music in DOS box inside win98, and this kill last chance of a working DOS game machine... 🙁

About your question, I test in this thin client , win95, win98SE, Win2k, WinXP, linux, and OS/2 without problem. Is agreat thin client

I hope i can found a solution to the PCI sound problem, or the music inside Win98 DOS box using the internal sound card

Reply 7 of 8, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just in case others were wondering, the Crusoe TM5800 is a chip that emulates an x86 instruction set. It isn't 100% as far as I'm aware and eats around 12MB of RAM to store the emulation core. I have a thin client with one of these chips in and its amazingly slow. I'm guessing around P2-266 speeds. No MMX either I believe. Mine has a 16 or 32MB Radeon 7000/7500 however and it'll play UT99 quite nicely. 😳 😁 I'll try another PCI audio card in my thin client when I have time and get back to you with the results 😀