VOGONS

First post, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Last week I trash picked a system that had been left out for weeks in the rain and heat that I had seen on the side of the road on the way to work. Got home and decided to poke about and see what inside is still good. Tested the hard drive and it turned out to still be like new when I found it as it only had 294 hours of use. 😮 Better yet every thing was good except the psu had blown and the case was on it's way to becoming a rust bucket.

Part 2: New life.
Yesterday I went to town and got a nice aluminum case as well other goodies. Cleaned up the board and upgraded the ram. Dumped in my 7800gs and ageia physx card. Got everything running except for once and a while crash 😵

Thermaltake Tough power 500w (more like 🤣 power = junk)
Some Aluminum Apevia case
Abit KT7A 1.1
A AXIA Thunderbird athlon running at 1.33ghz (doesn't seam stable at 1.75v but backed the voltage to 1.65v)
Zalman CNPS7000B All copper cooler
BFG 7800gs (G70)
Agiea ppu (new from box)
Seagate 160g for boot

So I want to know what cpu support there really is for this board from those who know this board better than I do. Want something with sse support.

Reply 1 of 6, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've heard of everything up through Barton chips being used in that board, so pretty much any Athlon XP should work, and possibly the Socket A Semprons as well.

The catch is, a lot of the later chips used a higher FSB by default, so with those you'd want to make sure to get an unlocked/unlockable one so you can set the multiplier appropriately for a 266fsb... or the easier route would be to just get a mobile Athlon XP-M, since those are all set up for 266fsb.

Reply 2 of 6, by elix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1.4 t-bird or 2100+ palomino. Think if u got rev 1.2 u can get tbred up to 1.8ghz.

DATA NOVA 486DX
Cx5x86 100GP @ 120Mhz | noname SIS AT mobo | 2x8MB FPM | Tseng Labs ET6000 PCI 2.5MB | Creative AWE64 Value | 2x8GB WD Caviar.
MS-DOS 6.22 / Microsoft Windows 95b

Reply 3 of 6, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An Applebred Duron would probably be nice in that board. I've seen 1.8ghz models for $10 on ebay and they overclock nice. I've read reports of 2.4 and even 2.5ghz being possible with overvolting.

Reply 4 of 6, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No eBay folks not after going to the better business bureau. Bought a athlon xp-m 1500+. If it doesn't work it won't be a great loss as it was only $8.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5 of 6, by elix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a KT7A But i has some swollen caps and wont boot 🙁

DATA NOVA 486DX
Cx5x86 100GP @ 120Mhz | noname SIS AT mobo | 2x8MB FPM | Tseng Labs ET6000 PCI 2.5MB | Creative AWE64 Value | 2x8GB WD Caviar.
MS-DOS 6.22 / Microsoft Windows 95b

Reply 6 of 6, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elix wrote:

I have a KT7A But i has some swollen caps and wont boot 🙁

Go to any local hardware store that sells home improvement and basic electronic repair stuff to get a cheap solder iron for a few euro. Then you can remove the bad caps from the board. You can try to salvage some good caps from other boards ect. They only need to be the same voltage as the old ones. I've fixed heaps of boards in that way.