VOGONS

First post, by jlnewhook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I am new to PC gaming, having not played anything other than Bejeweled on my PCs since the days of Duke Nukem 1. I left it behind because I always hated the keyboard control scheme, and became strictly a console gamer. Now, I have been buying and installing various old PC games I have regained the desire to play on my newer laptop. However, I still hate keyboard controls, and was hoping you all could recommend a good quality gamepad for use with my laptop and old games run through DOSBox.

These are the specs:
I am using DOSBox 0.74.

Toshiba Satellite L755D
Processor: AMD A6-3400M APU with RADEON HD Graphics 1.40GHz
RAM: 4GB
64 Bit Operating System.

Games I want to use a gamepad on include Duke Nukem 1, 2, & 3D, Heretic, Hexen, Catacomb 3D, just to name a few.

I would prefer a gamepad with two thumbsticks to allow for easier strafing, if at all possible. Like I said, I am pretty much not a PC Gamer, just wanting to play some games that were never satisfactorily ported to console.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The big problem for me with PC gamepads is that they all have horrible D-pads. Most of them are circular instead of plus-shaped ('+'), which makes it hard to transition from one axis to the other without hitting both along the way.

I've also found that thumbsticks don't always work well with games that were made for flightsticks. Freespace, for example, was way less accurate with thumbsticks than with a mouse (although long/sharp turns were excruciating with the mouse).

For most of the DOS-era FPS games, I'd actually recommend using a modern source port that allows the keyboard+mouselook combo. I recently tried System Shock 1 with a mouselook hack, and it felt like an abstraction layer had been ripped away so that I was controlling the game more directly.

Reply 2 of 7, by Wolf spider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are some programs on the net that remap controller buttons to be keyboard keys allowing you to play with a controller even with games that don't support controllers.

Here's a link:
http://electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToK...ersion.htm

May not work but you can give it a try (it worked for my steelseries controller)
I think after you remap your controller your supposed leave the app running on the desktop but you might be able to minimize it.

SPYWARE: junk coded by spies
TRASHWARE: Junk coded by oscar the grouch
FREEWARE: Junk coded by people not in jail
WARIOWARE: awesome junk coded by Wario

Reply 4 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ I have the same pad but the previous model that is marked as a ps2 pad... works perfect but I now replaced it with a wireless xbox360 pad + pc receiver

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 7, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I myself am a fan of the standard wired xbox 360 pad. It's comfortable, it has a familiar layout, and it works excellently for emulators. 😁

Reply 6 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an older version of the gamepad linked by Stull, with black buttons instead of console-colored ones, and only two buttons in the middle. It works decently, but the d-pad is terrible (note that it is raised and is a circle instead of a cross/plus) and the sticks aren't accurate enough for many old games that expected more of a flightstick.

Reply 7 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also have two of these Logitech pads (I think the same version as HunterZ) and I agree with the d-pad. In shooting games I often die because of control issues. I am now thinking of getting a proper arcade stick or something like that.

They are quite decent though so maybe its me. The Mega Drive pad was just like this one I believe.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel